YZ250 or a KTM300 for the woods???

My 250F is getting a little tired and somewhat limiting in power. There are times when it just doesn't have enough power anymore. I'm not liking the maintenance on the 4 stroke and think I'll go back to a smoker.

Tight woods most of the time but need the added punch for hill climbs and rutted soft sections.

I haven't totally given up on a 450 KTM but right now leaning toward one of the listed bikes.

Opinions????

Ya they are both pretty awesome though my vote is for the KTM as it's better setup for off-road trail riding/racing out of the box. Also they are more forgiving and have more torque and a wider power curve. The YZ is pretty killer and can be adapted very nicely for off-road but I'd still take the purpose built KTM!!

It comes down to money. The yz250 is a really good bike, but the ktm 300 is a better offroad only bike. I personally think that the ktm was not better than the yz until 2006/2007 and at that point, the ktms get much more expensive that the yz. Used 2006 and newer yzs are in the 2500 dollar range, and the ktms are about a grand more. I bought an 05yz250 for 1500 bucks a few months ago. I would love a newer ktm 300, but they are just too expensive. If money is not a factor, or you are buying new, get the ktm. If money is a factor, and you are buying used, then the yz is the way to go.

Whichever one you prefer will work better for you. Lots of skilled and experienced people prefer one or the other for a variety of reasons. Whatever any of us tell you will only reflect our own biases.

My bias is towards torquey luggable engines, and the 300 has that, but the yz is no slouch in that department either.

It comes down to money. The yz250 is a really good bike, but the ktm 300 is a better offroad only bike. I personally think that the ktm was not better than the yz until 2006/2007 and at that point, the ktms get much more expensive that the yz. Used 2006 and newer yzs are in the 2500 dollar range, and the ktms are about a grand more. I bought an 05yz250 for 1500 bucks a few months ago. I would love a newer ktm 300, but they are just too expensive. If money is not a factor, or you are buying new, get the ktm. If money is a factor, and you are buying used, then the yz is the way to go.

+1

I'm trying to figure out the same thing myself so I've been "studying" the comments from YZ owners and if it makes a decent woods bike. The answer is less..with a little work (which I don't mind doing.) The KTM is kind of eliminated for me because of price (if considering new), parts prices, no dealers nearby, few used ones around me, and the wide range of aftermarket YZ stuff.

+1

I'm trying to figure out the same thing myself so I've been "studying" the comments from YZ owners and if it makes a decent woods bike. The answer is less..with a little work (which I don't mind doing.)

Whether the YZ makes a good woods bike, and how much work it needs to do so depends alot on what kind of 'woods' you ride in, and what your skill and speed are and what your preferences are. Lots of people find it makes a great woods bike with very few modifications. Others will revalve the suspension and add a flywheel weight. Others will do even more. It certainly can be ridden in the woods box-stock and it will perform well for many people.

have ridden both of them. a 09 300xc-w and a 05 yz250. i can say the yz handle considerably better. the engine on the yz is way more excitable but the 300 is gonna win a tractor pull with that engine.

if you can get the 300 to handle and arent looking for a monster hit its a good bike and the winner of the competition. for a harescramble bike i would gladly ride a yz again.

It's easier to get the KTM300 to have snappy power than it is to change the gears and modify the suspension of the YZ250 for tight trails. Let your pocketbook and whatever is available be your guide.

It's easier to get the KTM300 to have snappy power than it is to change the gears and modify the suspension of the YZ250 for tight trails. Let your pocketbook and whatever is available be your guide.

a completly stock 06 and up YZ 250 handles much better in the suspention then a stock KTM 300, and the tight gear ratio's work better in single track.

in my opinion, 250f's are easier for hill climb's then a KTM 300, unless you have absolutaly no idea how to use the clutch and don't mind giving it a bit of a rev, the KTM's are good for a two stroke, but they're still much harder to find traction on then a 250F.

I ride a cr250 that I set up for woods riding. Last week I swapped bikes and rode an 09 ktm 300 xcw that is stock. My impression and opinion is that my two stroke mx bike turned and accelerated much better. The suspension was about equal (revalved CR). I hated the wide ratio tranny on the ktm. If I were to replace my trusty cr I would get a new yz 250. That is just my impression and everbody has different preferences.

I ride a cr250 that I set up for woods riding. Last week I swapped bikes and rode an 09 ktm 300 xcw that is stock. My impression and opinion is that my two stroke mx bike turned and accelerated much better. The suspension was about equal (revalved CR). I hated the wide ratio tranny on the ktm. If I were to replace my trusty cr I would get a new yz 250. That is just my impression and everbody has different preferences.

I rode a CR250 until I demo'd a KTM and I have to say I found the exact opposite . The 300 turned quicker , felt 50 lbs lighter and sucked up the small stuff wonderfully. It did seem that my 300 had less power until I realized that I could keep twisting the throttle... (my stock 300 would eat my modified CR250 for lunch).

People used to ask me how I could ride the Cr in the mountains and I didn't know what they were refering to back then . I do now..

The YZ's are much better than my CR for woods/mountain riding , but I would still rather have my 300 .

Keep in mind that if I still lived in MN it may not be as big of diffferance , but out here in Idaho it can make a huge difference in spent energy and fatigue .

BTW , where does this fairy tale about expensive KTM parts come from ??

The parts seem to run about the same . Well to be honest , the only thing I've had to replace in 4000 miles is tires , gas , oil and a front sprocket... Oh yeah... 1 plug...

in my opinion, 250f's are easier for hill climb's then a KTM 300, unless you have absolutaly no idea how to use the clutch and don't mind giving it a bit of a rev,

What........ My 300 has a clutch ???? I'd better read the owners manual after all..

Good reading so far guys.

I'll add this, when I say hill climbs on the 250F are giving my trouble. I'm talking about a big long hill with a jump on it. I need to be in second for the speed, the middle of the hill is vertical, then you jump onto a less steep section. You've jumped straight up and this causes you to loose speed. Now that you've landed the 250F can't pick back up and go in second. You have to shift or slip the clutch to go on and as you know momentium is everything I've just lost most of it.

My friends on a 450 can roll up to the same hill, hit the bottom and grab a handful of throttle, when they land just roll back into the power and roost over the top.

The only other area, in soft spongy soil I can't depend on my little thumper to be able to lift the front tire in 4th or 5th gear. I have to slow down, down shift and then accellerate instead of just twisting the throttle.

At 230 pounds in my gear a 250F is a little short on power.

It's costing me time and my bike is getting tired anyway, hince time to get more power and I'm thinking 2 stroke for less maintenance.

a completly stock 06 and up YZ 250 handles much better in the suspention then a stock KTM 300, and the tight gear ratio's work better in single track.

in my opinion, 250f's are easier for hill climb's then a KTM 300, unless you have absolutaly no idea how to use the clutch and don't mind giving it a bit of a rev, the KTM's are good for a two stroke, but they're still much harder to find traction on then a 250F.

It really depends on the terrain that you ride and what you like to ride. A lot of YZ250 owners change their tranny gears over WR's or want to. Here in the Az desert that would be a big help. They're both good bikes. I have the YZ with a EG295 kit but a KTM300XC would be cool. I would probably have the head and ports done though. For that matter, my 06 CRF450R is a great bike too. The 250F's we had were slow and boring in the desert.

Coming from an MX bike, don't get the XC-W, go for the XC. It's similar but the gears are a little taller. I felt like the XC-W was too gappy, which can be fixed with sprockets but I'd rather get the XC and it be spot on already. I rode a YZ250 for a year before switching to an 09 KTM 250XC, and while the YZ was an awesome bike and I loved it to death, the KTM is a definite upgrade across the board. Out of the box the suspenders were near perfect, blast through the whoops and square edges yet still be able to turn on a dime. Plus there are just the little things about the KTM, like the adjustable handlebars mounts, PV settings, silky smooth hydraulic clutch, easiest bike to work on I've ever had, already has a 2.9gal tank on it, 18" wheel, adjustable mapping, plus that orange just looks dead sexy. You will honestly be happy with either one, but for me the KTM was a few steps ahead of the YZ

Sounds to me as if you need to spend a little more time on a 300. 10 min. isn't goin do it.... Never will any 250f pull a hill climb better than a 300...ever