Am I too big for a WR250F?

Hi,

I race +30B in hare scrambles and I currently ride a 07 KTM 300xc. I'm 6ft 195lbs and I ride pretty aggresively. There is a 07 wr250f for sale near me with very little time on it for a steal. Would it pull my weight if I put a big bore kit on it? I think I could get down to 185, but thats about as light as I can get.

Tell us a little more about yourself and that XC300. Do you get a smile out of the 300's power or does it scare you, are you a pretty good B rider, are you aggressive or not so much, is the 300 beating the crap out of you? Also, the terrain you ride in- is it whooped out, hills, roots/rocks, sandy, etc.?

IMO, I think most Vet A & B riders should be thinking about a YZ250F instead.

me and one of my buds both went from 300's to 08 wr 250's. we are both over 6 foot and over 230 lbs mainly just did free mods, jetting and pipes. i am a decent sen B rider, depending on the track (i do better at the tight gnarly, muddy ones) i am a top 3 finisher. he rides super senior A and has been winning his class at every race, sometimes by more then 10 minutes! he has been top 10-20 at every race too. the only place i have ever missed the power has been in an open field. but it sill gets the job done, i haven't had any trouble making big hills, etc either. i think the suspension and handling on the wr is a lot better then ktm.

I don't really dislike the 300, I was just thinking of trying something different. It's very sandy around my house, but most of the races I do are clay/rooty type courses. The power on the 300 doesn't scare me at all, I was just wondering if it was possible to get the wr to pull me (motor mods, etc) and not be a maintenance hassle. I ride pretty aggresively.

i loved my 06 300, but didn't really care for the 08 300, even after spending almost $1000 on suspension work it still didn't give me a lot of confidence. so going to the wr was an easy decision for me.

Before I broke my back I was 6'0" 195lbs. The biggest issue with riding the 250f is that you will have to ride it to get everything out of if you are the type of rider you described yourself as. It will pull you without much hassel and it will run out nice with very few mods. The big bore is nice and I ran a 270 for a bit and a 290. I din't like the 290 as much as I was never able to get it to run out on top right. I pretty much stuck with the 250 bore for the most part and just changed my style of riding to fit the bike better.. I came off a 450 and had never had a small bike. The learning curve was pretty big at first because it takes a different style. You can't just grab a fistfull, you can't point and twist and expect it too yank ya. Need a bit more flow and a little more work to ride fast, can't be lazy to get it to run out right.

If you're properly sprung for your weight I think you may like it in the tighter courses. Stock the engine may bore you on big hills and sandy, etc. but through the hills it may be nice if you are the type to carry good cornering speed.

A few friends have big bore kits and aftermarket cams. There is no question regarding the power and ooooh factor with those bikes!

For me a 250 requires more front wheel turning whereas my 450 I can steer it with the rear wheel due to the power.

If you're properly sprung for your weight I think you may like it in the tighter courses. Stock the engine may bore you on big hills and sandy, etc. but through the hills it may be nice if you are the type to carry good cornering speed.

A few friends have big bore kits and aftermarket cams. There is no question regarding the power and ooooh factor with those bikes!

For me a 250 requires more front wheel turning whereas my 450 I can steer it with the rear wheel due to the power.

Exactly! More work to turn fast, less work (lighter bike) to turn slow.

Being I am so incredibly slow, a ride is like a catered vacation for me.

Hi,

I race +30B in hare scrambles and I currently ride a 07 KTM 300xc. I'm 6ft 195lbs and I ride pretty aggresively. There is a 07 wr250f for sale near me with very little time on it for a steal. Would it pull my weight if I put a big bore kit on it? I think I could get down to 185, but thats about as light as I can get.

If you lived closer i would trade my 250f in a heart beat for a 300.

If you lived closer i would trade my 250f in a heart beat for a 300.

be careful what you wish for, i've had 300's from 94 until 2009 and this little wr is one of the most fun bikes i've ever had. of course it's a lot differant riding here then in CA though, it's tight and technical most of the time which works a lot better for the wr.

be careful what you wish for, i've had 300's from 94 until 2009 and this little wr is one of the most fun bikes i've ever had. of course it's a lot differant riding here then in CA though, it's tight and technical most of the time which works a lot better for the wr.

I have owned 6 yzs and wrs. I have also rode ktm 300s for a season. I right very tight wood trails and dessert racing. lower A to B class. I have never liked the power on Yzfs the 300s if set up right are perfect in the woods you can lug them more than a 250f and they how the flat out grunt you need if you have to get over an obstacle.

I rode a crf450r before my 300, didn't turn, stalled almost once a lap. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the wr. I rode a kx250f in the woods the other day, and I think with a little more bottom power I could make the bike work. Plus it was more fun, thats what racing is about, right? I'm also gonna keep the 300 for a while if it doesn't work out. Thanks for the help.

I rode a crf450r before my 300, didn't turn, stalled almost once a lap. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the wr. I rode a kx250f in the woods the other day, and I think with a little more bottom power I could make the bike work. Plus it was more fun, thats what racing is about, right? I'm also gonna keep the 300 for a while if it doesn't work out. Thanks for the help.

thats the same way i went, i kept the 300 for several months, i was having so much more fun on the wr though it was very easy to sell the 300. i have my confidence back now too. with ktm suspension, you never know what is going to happen when you hit that rock or root. i found out the hard way several times. with the wr it never does anything weird. if it just had a couple more inches of ground clearance it would be perfect