Sign in to follow this  

Colorado fourmile?

Thinking of camping somewhere this weekend. I've heard a lot about the fourmile area outside of Buena Vista, but I'm not sure how to get there without wandering around in my truck for a few hours before finding it. Can anyone offer any advice on where to camp?

thanks

Eric

I called salida ranger district today. The trails in that area aren't open yet and they said they couldn't tell me when they think they will be open due to the snow melt.

Well, I guess I'm going to take my chances... I called the Salida ranger district and the lady who answered told me the only reason it would be closed is if it was flooded. Maybe just some of the trails are closed?

E

... I called the Salida ranger district and the lady who answered told me the only reason it would be closed is if it was flooded. Maybe just some of the trails are closed?

E

That's crazy that we called the same office and got two completely different answers. I think ur right, you'll be fine. Maybe some trails are closed, but seems there's still plenty to hit now. Have a blast!

Are unplated bikes allowed on those dirt roads, ie 300, 376, 185 etc?

All of the trails are most definitely OPEN. The south side of triad ridge (only motorized sigle track) might be torn up a little. USFS will have a trail crew rebuffing june 24th -29th ish.

All of the county roads in the 4mile area are fair game to OHV's except:

185, between 300 and 185D

ALL highway crossings

Just got back from four days of camping here. Fun little area, but extremely dry and dusty. We had blue skies every day and it was 80 to 85 each day.

What a great looking place! I think Im gonna have to plan a weekend trip down there to go screw around in the hills. In terms of single track... I see the designated singletrack paths on the map but are the rest of the trails pretty tight or are they just huge free-for-all trails (like rampart). I like small traisl 👍

We had quite a mix....dirt bikes, quads, and SxS's. The rest of the trails were plenty wide for 4 wheelers and SxS's, although, some trails were posted just wide enough for a 4 wheeler to fit through and the SxS's or jeeps could not.

IMO, this is a great trail system for dirt bikes and sport quads, but not as much for utility quads and SxS's. Unless you don't mind zero mud and water holes to play in.

We put on 100 miles in 2 days and I know we didn't hit all the trails that are out there.