Sign in to follow this  

2005 ktm250sx good year?? On craigslist for CHEAP!!

Hey whats up guys!

I maybe looking this bike during this week but me and my dad wanted to know if this year is any good?

Can you still do the powervalve spring changes to it like on the newer bikes?

Does it have a hydrualic clutch?

ALso the most important was there any recalls for this bike? Or should i just stick with the yz250?

For the KTM will i still be able to find parts for it too? I heard stuff on here that they dont make parts any more for this bike.

Heres the link:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/1778795892.html

Looks like a pretty good deal to me. I would want to see proof of this recent top end.(ie receipts, etc.) Parts should be just fine, it's only a 5 year old bike. Now, if it were a early 90's late 80's KTM, you may have a hard time finding parts. If I am remembering correctly, the 05 250 sx was one of the most potent 250 2 strokes out there. Should be a lot of fun.

Test ride it, make sure the owner hasn't warmed it up before you got there. You always want to make sure it starts cold.

I just saw an '01 250sx on ebay that stated that the hydro-clutch was in good working order, so I guess it would have it unless he added that extra.

Looks like a good deal to me, I agree on actually checking to see if it is recently rebuilt, 95% of the bikes on craigslist claim that, and about 25% actually are.

As far as parts. IF you need them, you can find them for any bike. KTMs aren't hard to find parts for like most of the old-timers remember from back in the day. Just like the other myths that 2-strokes foul plugs all the time, need to be screamed to make any power, etc. It may have applied back in the day, but in current times, an '05 KTM is nothing to worry about for parts.

Heck, I still get parts for my bike no problem, and it's a '91 KTM.

Edited by R-Dubya

Would this bike make a good woods bike too for like harescrambles and stuff. And how's the motor compared the the yz250? I heard the the ktms run very strong and also can I adjust the power valve and stuff like I heard something about you can adjustthe power band

Any 2 stroke MX bike will be about the same for the woods. Depending on how skilled of a rider you are will depend on how much you need to make it a better woods bike. Some guys ride them as is, some throw a fly wheel weight and a pipe on. Gearing is key. Plus the little odds and ends for protection, skid plate, hand guards, stuff along those lines.

IIRC all the KTM 2t had hydro clutch by 1999 and they had adjustable power valves before that.