Sign in to follow this  

Sprocket Selection

New to the board and just getting back into motocross after a 15 year layoff. I picked up a beautiful 2002 CR250R and she is a beast. I need a front and rear sprocket and chain. I am looking at the turner steel sprockets and was wondering about the differences in the tooth count. It appears I can go 13 or 14 on the front and 48-52 on the rear. What do I gain or loose with the different tooth counts. I also need a chain and was wondering if the DID standard is alright or is a more expensive chain worth the extra money. I am a weekend warrior just looking to hit a few jumps - not going to be a MX racer any time soon. I don't mind spending the extra money if it will last longer.

Thanks in advance,

Shane - MX Affliction

Less of teeth on the front, or more on the rear will give you quicker acceleration, and little slower top speed. Larger front or smaller rear will make acceleration a little slower and give you more overall top speed.

Yeah like what kcdavis said for an example the factory gearing on my 1998 cr250r is 13 teeth in the front and the rear is a 50 if I gear it down in the front one teeth down that is for more acceleration but if I gear it up in the rear to a 51 teeth it will give you more acceleration. Also if you went down to a 48 teeth in the rear that well give more top speed but that means that you will have less acceleration. Also about the chain I never have heard any bad comments about any D.I.D chain they are all good products but yes the O-ring chain will last longer than a standard chain.