Sign in to follow this  

2004 cr 125 piston question

ok so i go to replace my head gasket because of coolant getting burned and i look at my piston...looks like its normal alittle brown on the top no pitting. cylinder looks good but when i put it to TDC and put my finger on the piston and it has alittle side to side play.( very little) is this normal? probably not so its time for a new top end?

Is that the stock piston? I've heard that Honda 125's have a larger piston-to-cylinder clearance for some reason. If you do replace the piston make sure you get the correct size. Good luck!

i didnt pull the head because if it wasnt a big deal then i didnt want to tear into it more. It is the stock piston.....its a low hour bike for the year. So would you say replace it? or is it something that could get by for alittle while? like a couple races?

If you overheated it enough to blow the head gasket you do need to look at and measure the piston/cylinder. You already have 1/2 of the hoses off, the coolant out and the pipe off. 4 more bolts and the power valve and you're there. If it checks out fine then throw on some new rings, top end gaskets, hone the cylinder and run it. Simple maintenance is easier/cheaper than replacing blown up parts.