XR650R engine in a CRF450X frame

Has anyone done this?

I'd like views on the following important issues (plus advice on others not mentioned)

1. Oil tank - could I use the CRF frame as an oil resevoir?

2. Sheer engine size - will the 650R engine even fit inside the stock CRF frame?

3. What if I were to use the XR main frame, weld on CRF spars, headstock, use CRF back end/swingarm etc? I know it would require 2 frames but so be it.

4. Other issues?

Has anyone done this?

I'd like views on the following important issues (plus advice on others not mentioned)

1. Oil tank - could I use the CRF frame as an oil resevoir?

2. Sheer engine size - will the 650R engine even fit inside the stock CRF frame?

3. What if I were to use the XR main frame, weld on CRF spars, headstock, use CRF back end/swingarm etc? I know it would require 2 frames but so be it.

4. Other issues?

All i know is it wont physically fit in the frame.

The 450 can have just as much power as the 650 without the weight. That was the point of the bike ! I put a HP 302 into a Ford Courier in 1982. So like I said anything can be done. But it went fast and didn't handle for shit.

Fair call - I did read the 650r engine is 10kg heavier than the 450X engine.

It just strikes me that the 650R donk is a great donk so putting it into a 450X frame would be the ducks guts

After you chop up a couple of frames to get it to fit, you will likely have a bike that is heavier than an XR650R and doesn't handle worth a darn. It would be unique though.

If we all used common sense, we wouldn't be tinkering on our XRs to start with... So... get busy collecting parts and let the party begin!

Iv'e kinda thought about this and had 450 next to mine at one point while both had the tanks off.It could work but... the 450 would have to find a new place for the gas,as the 650 motor is about 7 inches taller and 4 inches longer.

I think the only answer would be a fork and shock\swing arm transplant from the 450.

Sorry i can't do it,That's time spent that i could of been riding....

Iv'e kinda thought about this and had 450 next to mine at one point while both had the tanks off.It could work but... the 450 would have to find a new place for the gas,as the 650 motor is about 7 inches taller and 4 inches longer.

I think the only answer would be a fork and shock\swing arm transplant from the 450.

Sorry i can't do it,That's time spent that i could of been riding....

A case of beer and a heliarc... we could make it happen!?

just put a CRF front end on your 650R and be done with it.

BTW, if built correctly and taken care of, the 450X will last quite a bit longer than 6 months.

I have a 450x with 300+ hours on it.

It is no XR, but what is??

BTW, I ride my XR mostly.