Sign in to follow this  

Why a Sport Touring?

Since no one has addressed this section of the forum I'll add my opinion and then you can either agree or disagree as you see fit...

I chose the BMW F800ST as my last and final street bike. I've been riding a variety of styles of street bike since 1977....yeh, almost since the invention of pavement.

There are always the trade-offs between comfort / performance / style / reliability among the many manufacturers. Whether you choose U.S. made, or the japanese versions or the german or french products....seems like I've tried all of them except Ducatti....nice stuff, just not my style.

The F800ST comes with the features I enjoy in most any street bike;

light weight for flickability in traffic and twisties

plenty of torque as well as good top end

great looks

As well as some of the things that were lacking from the Harleys /Kawi / suzuki / yamaha

heated grips

factory lowered suspension 2"

outstanding warranty lifetime free towing

excellent fit and finish

Brembo brakes and steel braided lines

ABS

Onboard computer

comfortable riding position

Kind of a sport bike for old people I would guess. I can hang with the 600's going up the river and still cruise the freeway in comfort. Plus I get anywhere from 54 to 63 miles per gallon depending on where or how hard I ride...not bad.

I use it as a commuter and for weekend pleasure, since I have no shiney stuff to worry about I ride it 6 days a week, year round. The only thing I've added are aftermarket footpegs and control levers, and new tires just last week, at 7,000 miles, the stock front and rear were ready to be replaced.

800ST.jpg?t=1275888182

new015.jpg?t=1275888232

IMG_0058.jpg?t=1275888371

bike3.jpg?t=1275888412

I just got myself a triumph sprint st 955i, but i wont have the chance to ride it for another 14 weeks when my tour ends. I like the look of beemers but they have never really been my cup tea. And sports tourers are a first for me ive always had kawasaki zx6 or zx9's so this is a new experiance in some ways. Anyway has soon has i figure out how post pics of the triumph you can let me what you think.

Hayabusa got 3rd, behind 2 bikes they don't make anymore. Guess in all reality, that puts the Hay Bus first on this particular list.

Oh yeah! Life, and the ride, is good!🙂

:banana:

I went the Hayabusa route as well. No bar risers, stock seat, and stock windscreen. I did put on some heated grips and a couple other sport-touring touches.

DealsGapMay2007017.jpg

Sturgis2008107.jpg

Colorado07159.jpg

Many standards do sport touring as well. I first rode to Alaska on a 82 GS650E, and have criss-crossed the country many times on a GS1100E and ZR1000. Soft luggage is an issue.

Would probably prefer hard, but have always run soft. Currently on the zr1000 running chase tank bag, cycle venture rack &pack (allows for tent, bag etc. ) and saddlebags.

Soft is less secure, but could probably break into most hard in a coupla minutes

That has got to be one of the strangest s/t top ten list I have ever seen. A Suzuki 650F in the top ten?:banana: Oh well diff strokes for diff folks. I like my FJR to cover long distances, but my brother who normally does at least one 1k-1.5k mile ride a year with me is content to do it on his GSXR1k even though he has had lumbar back surgery. I guess what ever your able to stay on and eat up the miles for hours on end is a good s/t for you.🙂

DSC02116.jpg

That list seems more sport. When I think of Sport Touring, bikes that come to mind are BMW RT and GT, Honda ST, Yamaha FJR, Kawi Concours, etc....

But as I always say, the best sport touring bike is the bike you like ;-)

Although I don't seem to find the time for long trips these days I really enjoy my 1989 Honda PC800. I bought it new in 1991 and will keep it till I'm too old to ride or it's worn out. I only paid $4200 for it back then, and it's worth $3000 today. If you're looking for a sport touring bike and on a budget, I'd recommend looking at a PC800. It's not the fastest, nor the most technologically advanced bike around, but it's 800cc water cooled V twin is smooth, reliable, relatively powerful, and virtually maintainence free. It has a trunck which holds 2 helmets, or quite a bit of luggage. Add a tank bag, and a rear bag or duffle and it can carry quite a load.

The only real disadvantages I can think of are it's small gas tank (with no reserve) and the difficulty of removing body panels. The gas tank issue isn't too big a deal while travelling in the east, since it'll go about 2 hours between fill-ups, which most riders usually need to take a leg stretch break anyway.

Sure, I'd enjoy a fancier, faster bike, but I really don't go much over 100mph these days. And I'm happy doing wheelies off the highways. Besides, it's "Paid For". 😛

I had no idea what the PC800 looked like, and I'm sure others didn't know either....so I found this. Very Nice

PC800%20Pacific%20Coast.jpg%20(1000x668).jpg

That's a nice shot, the shadow effect really shows off it curves.

The PC800 is attractive from most all angles, except from the rear where it can sort of have a "big scooter" look to it. The original 1989 sales brochure had an overhead view looking straight down from above which was a wonderful shot.

The 89's were pearl white, then a candy appy red for the 1990 model. One year was black, another red. The 1989's were way over-produced (Honda didn't figure out how to market them.), so there are a lot of pearl white ones.

It's not hard finding them in really good condition, with relatively low miles (under 20k for an 89'). But at this point finding replacement body panels is getting more difficult.

There's a forum or two for them if you want to get the specs and more info.

The PC is sort of the ancestor to the ST1100 and ST1300 at Honda. Each model in the series gets a little bigger with a bit more performance. The ST1300 may be giving way to the new Honda VFR1200 sports tourer this year.

I looked at the new VFR1200 when I was back in the market for a sport touring bike and ended up back on my second ST1300.

The protection on the ST is important to me as I commute about 70 miles roundtrip 5 days a week in SoCal and I don't want to drive just because it's raining or cold.The St fits the bill prefectly for me.

The factory hard bags fit a fullface in each bag no problem and still leaves room.

I love the electric windsheild too....👍

I'll ride the Harley Road King Classic when it gets above 80 every day...

IMG_4671.JPG?psid=1

Edited by PNW_Rider
added photo

:thumbsup:

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq154/Rayneman5/Lockwood%20Valley%20Ride/100_0266.jpg' alt='100_0266.jpg'>

As for the original question regarding "why a Sport Tour", I could not afford the Harley, BMW, Ducati, and a truck load of other bikes that I looked at. I wanted something that I could ride beyond the top of the first hill. And the sport tour can carry extra goodies. (I like to ride far enough away from home to think I am getting a mini vacation.) I liked the size of the sport tour. The bike handles very well. It is stable at higher speeds. And it can still be used for my daily commute of 40 miles one way.

Just my 2 cents, but I believe there has been a market for the sport tour for a long time. It is just that no one was manufacturing a bike to fit this need.

Edited by Rayneman5