Sign in to follow this  

1999 yz-250 2smoke ?????

Hey folks I just had the pleasure of picking up what looks like its going to be a decent ride.. it has a ton of mods on it new tires and the engine runs very strong will stand up with 240 lbs on it in every gear along with "race tech" suspension job.... can anyone tell me what to look for with these 1999 models please?

IE: Any flaws with the 99 yz 250 2smoke? like frames cracking, or cases cracking, water pumps, rod throwing/knocking, power valves junk? this bike seems to have been well maintained and very tight... the tank of gas came in it... i've been riding it for 1 hour and she starts up 1st kick and idles like a rolls royce :-)... but, its spiting oil out the end of the "shorty" silcencer (fmf) but she runs hardcore.... smokes like 10 gallon of oil to 1 gallon of gas? 👍

So, any inpute regarding this bike will sure be appreciated alot!

i have the same bike.

she is an absolute BEAST. you will not get tired of her.

we have all the same motor from 1999-2010, so no worries.

check that top end for sure though

if you are getting splooge you might need any or all of the following:

1) new silencer packing

2) new top end

3) re-jetting

4) air-pilot screw adjusted

check your plug to see if you're running rich.

The only issue that i ever had with my 99 was that one of the exhaust mounts broke off. Very small issue. They are great bikes. Cheap and fun fun fun!

I had an 01 (same bike) before I upgraded to an 05.

there is nothing bad or anything to look out for with that bike. Seriously. Yamaha got it right with the yz's over a decade ago.

I had a spooge problem and it turned out to be the top end. The bike is new to you... so invest in a set of rings and some packing for the pipe. It will cost you about $30 and a few hours.

Change the rings and/or piston regularly and keep everything lubricated. You'll get many years out of it.

i had a 99 yz250 that i rode for three years with nothing but a broken exhaust mount. they're wicked great bikes, you'll love the hell out of it.

I smile whenever a 99 post comes up. Without a doubt my favorite 250 of all time. That 99 and I got along so well. The motor is insanely fast yet controllable when needed, and the frame flex combined with stiffness is exactly how my not-pro reflexes wants a bike to behave. This may sound moronic, but the few pics of me racing hanging in the garage are almost all on that 99. I remember liking that 99 so much that it was also the only bike I would not let anyone borrow. The other bikes.....sure, crash and trash away.

i just got rid of my 2000 yz the best bike i have ever owned... now im riding a 4 stroke..... its not what everyone makes of em'

If any of you 99' or older owners need a Steahly 13oz flywheel weight then let me know as I bought one on accident. It's almost brand new.

$30 plus shipping.

Back on topic.... great bikes. They've been great bikes for decades.