Sign in to follow this  

yz 125 need help

I got a '96 yz125 last summer. It ran strong when I bought it, but it was towards the end of the season and one thing led to another and I haven't had a chance to ride it till recently. Long story short I can get it to start if I pop the clutch but I can kick it all day and it won't quite turn over enough to start. I'm definitely not engine oriented. Is that just the spark plug? Once I get it warmed up it will start no problem off a single kick.

Can you list out what parts specifically that needs? I'm pretty sure that's just the gaskets and cylinder though, right? And how much do you think that'll run me for cost?

Can you list out what parts specifically that needs? I'm pretty sure that's just the gaskets and cylinder though, right? And how much do you think that'll run me for cost?

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/WISECO-PROLITE-PISTON-KIT-2STROKE/?catalogId=108625&sMMY=YAMAHA%3BYZ125%3B1996

you do *not* need a new cylinder for a top end replacement.

thats all you need for a top end

comes with piston, ring, an gaskets, and circlip.

very easy to do, look up instructional videos on google video.

make sure to go slow, its very straight forward.

took me and my girlfriend about 2 hrs the first time.

i suggest bringing it to a shop you can do a lot of damage if you do it wrong

First off, get the shop manual, it makes things so much easier. If I were you, I'd start off by cleaning the carb, and see what that does. If need be, bring the carb to the dealer and let them clean it. See if that helps. If the bikes very easy to kick over, as previously stated, it may be time for a top-end. I would recommend the kit previously posted, it has everything you need to refresh your engine. Good luck, the search function is your friend!