Sign in to follow this  

CRF450X big bore kits

Anyone put in one of the high end Falicon 525 kits in the 450X?

Im looking to make my engine more 650R like and am happy to cop lower revs and some more power and cruising ability.

INterested in any feedback on the falicon big 450x motors

First off... I have no personal experience with Falicon kits for dirt bikes. I have used them in HD Sportster type engines. But I'll relay this:

The last review I read about the Falicon kits were about 2 years ago in Dirt Rider. The gist of it was that the kits are not direct bolt-in ready. Throughout the installation you must check clearances and interferences. Dirt Rider didn't know this from the start and immediately the valves smacked the piston and the connecting rod contacted the cylinder skirt (not to be confused with the piston skirt). You need your factory manual to supplement the kit instructions so you can take proper measurements for many critical clearances, endplay, etc.

None of the potential problems were noted in the Falicon instructions. Anyone could have assumed you could just bolt it on and go. Anyone paying that kind of money should expect nothing less. That's how it should be. Instead, the end result was a bunch of calls to Falicon, being told that a "professional would have known better" and that they would not warranty the product or be responsible for damages.

As DR was intent on finishing the review, they bought new parts at their expense, and rebuilt the engine, taking the hazards in mind this time. It took some grinding, sanding, different gaskets and new spacers to get it right. In the end, the kit performed as if it was more displacement but it wasn't the performance they were looking for. A little more torque down low but minimal HP gains with nothing up top at all. They guessed, that without proper headwork, it was a waste of money. A new pipe didn't help. As one who builds special purpose engines, I concur with their assessment. However the quality of the parts was very good as they expected...manufacturing quality, not performance quality, mind you.

Take that for what it is worth and bear in mind, it's a waste of money if you don't do upgrades as a system. Meaning, a big bore kit needs a new pipe or at least a slip-on, headwork, intake/carb work and maybe new cams and ignition (depending on perfomance goals) in order to realize the benefits.

What's nice about the KTM engines, is that they're designed with 530cc in mind from the start. It makes sense that the 450 and moreso the 400 are understressed and are likely more durable for the long haul since the bottom end is the same across the board. The 450X can take a bit of modding without losing reliability since the 37 HP X and 55 HP R models, while not interchangeable in cases, are basically engineered to the same criteria.

First off... I have no personal experience with Falicon kits for dirt bikes. I have used them in HD Sportster type engines. But I'll relay this:

The last review I read about the Falicon kits were about 2 years ago in Dirt Rider. The gist of it was that the kits are not direct bolt-in ready. Throughout the installation you must check clearances and interferences. Dirt Rider didn't know this from the start and immediately the valves smacked the piston and the connecting rod contacted the cylinder skirt (not to be confused with the piston skirt). You need your factory manual to supplement the kit instructions so you can take proper measurements for many critical clearances, endplay, etc.

None of the potential problems were noted in the Falicon instructions. Anyone could have assumed you could just bolt it on and go. Anyone paying that kind of money should expect nothing less. That's how it should be. Instead, the end result was a bunch of calls to Falicon, being told that a "professional would have known better" and that they would not warranty the product or be responsible for damages.

As DR was intent on finishing the review, they bought new parts at their expense, and rebuilt the engine, taking the hazards in mind this time. It took some grinding, sanding, different gaskets and new spacers to get it right. In the end, the kit performed as if it was more displacement but it wasn't the performance they were looking for. A little more torque down low but minimal HP gains with nothing up top at all. They guessed, that without proper headwork, it was a waste of money. A new pipe didn't help. As one who builds special purpose engines, I concur with their assessment. However the quality of the parts was very good as they expected...manufacturing quality, not performance quality, mind you.

Take that for what it is worth and bear in mind, it's a waste of money if you don't do upgrades as a system. Meaning, a big bore kit needs a new pipe or at least a slip-on, headwork, intake/carb work and maybe new cams and ignition (depending on perfomance goals) in order to realize the benefits.

What's nice about the KTM engines, is that they're designed with 530cc in mind from the start. It makes sense that the 450 and moreso the 400 are understressed and are likely more durable for the long haul since the bottom end is the same across the board. The 450X can take a bit of modding without losing reliability since the 37 HP X and 55 HP R models, while not interchangeable in cases, are basically engineered to the same criteria.

awesome post X1!!!

What about the maxpower cube power up kits for the 450X?

I know they're spendy but have a 522cc CRF would be unreal - probably half way betweeen a XR650R and the CRF450X?

Out of interest what are the power and torque figures of a stock but unplugged 650R and 450X?

Thanks again for the awesome post.

I have a question for you X1Glider ; But isn’t the KTM 530 actually a 510cc motor?

I have had some interest in big boring my X as well and have been researching the kits available to make more HP for my Baja bike.🙂

But I pull very tall gearing 15/45

RmHrc600 ; What gearing are you trying to pull?

I have a 650r that has been rebuilt and beefed up with the full HRC kit; (Power Rol) crank etc and I think my 06x pulls almost as hard (given that it is a ton lighter)

Just my 2 cents why don’t you look into stroking your motor if you would like more out of you motor and it will run more like the 650?(Torque Monster that they are)🤣

For me and my 07x (project bike/money pit) I am going to have it bored and stroked to make it a 510 to 520 ( if my math is correct)

If you have more exact questions; give the guys at THUMPER RACING 👍 a call, I did finally🤣; and they gave me the straight stuff on what I wanted to accomplish with my motor and bike.

They will be getting my motor sometime later on this summer; also they did my best friends KTM 525; and made it a true 570cc (it rocked this last trip we made to Baja in April of this year)

More power every where and it ran good on the PEMEX gas :-0