Sign in to follow this  

Power valve PIN falling out

I found a video where they recommend that 2T owners take the exhaust power valve spring pin (located behind the exhaust on the side of the head)

off and weld it on the back to stop it falling off and going down into the transmission, ultimately destroying your gearbox.

Has this happened to anyone you know? first Ive heard of this mod,

I did mine before I ever even took it off road. There's a guy over at KTMtalk.com that welds and grinds the pins and sells them for $25 for those of use that don't have welders or grinders.

So far some of those that didn't do the mod or never heard of it often put up posts about finding a small silvery cylindrical object attachedto their magnet on their drain plug. Those are the fortunate ones, for it didn't booger up anything internally.

It's well worth doing. I don't know why KTM has let this issue go on for so long.

I don't know why KTM has let this issue go on for so long.

That tells me it must be good for their spare parts dept LOL

Well I didn't buy any parts from them for this one. I just welded it and the spare one that I had. If your pin was worn you might want to replace that. You could also just take it out and turn it around for a fresh surface to wear on the control lever (plate).

It's an easy weld job. Just a tack weld is preferred so as not to heat things up too much on the rest of the gear segment it is installed into. Could be done with MIG, TIG, or Stick welding. Oxyacetylene gas welding would work, but would heat everything up more then necessary IMO. I prefer to TIG weld this one.

There are lots of reports of them coming out. Most of the time they didn't even know it until they found the pin stuck to the magnet on the oil drain during an oil change. I have read a couple of reports of crunching things in the trany though.

the pin in my 06 came out with the first oil change, on the magnet.

there is someone on ktmtalk that sells a welded assembly.

well known fact and easily fixed.

Mt dealer does it 👍 Doesnt matter cause I wont be buying a new or new to me bike for awhile.

I did mine before I ever even took it off road. There's a guy over at KTMtalk.com that welds and grinds the pins and sells them for $25 for those of use that don't have welders or grinders.

So far some of those that didn't do the mod or never heard of it often put up posts about finding a small silvery cylindrical object attachedto their magnet on their drain plug. Those are the fortunate ones, for it didn't booger up anything internally.

It's well worth doing. I don't know why KTM has let this issue go on for so long.

Is there a specific years and models that are effected? I just bought a 2010 250 xc. should I be concerned?

had mine done. even thought the design changed the pin still can come out on the 08-10 models. im sure its unchanged for the 2011's too. people say the 250 is less likely to shed the pin, but not worth the risk if you ask me

Is there a specific years and models that are effected? I just bought a 2010 250 xc. should I be concerned?

Just do it, an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure. People have been reporting of finding that pin attached to the drain plug magnet. This has been going on for about 10 years I think and the newer 2 strokes aren't exempt. Everytime you think it might have been remedied by the factory, another post comes up about finding the pin in the drain plug on their NEW bike. Either do it yourself or just buy one from the guy that sells them at KTMtalk, Like I said, I didn't even take mine off road until I swapped mine out.

It's easy to do, the hardest part is getting that little retaining pin back into the ball part of the actuator. I about became unhinged trying to get it back in because I wasn't paying attention to how it came out. Now I could do it with no problem.

I bought my 09 250xc used with about 20 hrs on it from a friend. My 2nd ride the pin fell out, munched through the primary and blew chunks everywhere. I had a lot of them jammed between the ring gear on clutch basket and the basket itself to where it distorted it to rubbing the case, giving a knocking sound like crank lost bottom end bearing. I ripped it all apart, split cases, crank was fine and couldn't find where metal pieces came from. Put new crank in since it was apart, inspected every crevice in trams never found broken tooth. I used a punch to knock chunks out of clutch and it returned to .0002 flatness on dad's precision table and faro arm at work, good enough for me. I later realized why I couldn't figure out the power valve after cleaning during full rebuild, as I was missing that pin.

Short answer, yes weld the damn thing unless you like to split cases at some point if you have my luck.

Upon further internet research I found that this is still a problem.

I'll be breaking out the welder this weekend...before anything happens to me!

It doesn't look like the guy on KTMTalk is selling his welded part anymore, or I'm just real bad at finding his ad...

Sure I can weld. Got a couple MIG's (one gas-less for out on jeeping adventures). But I wouldn't say I'm an expert.

I read somewhere during my internet research where at least 2 guys posted they had peened the pin on the backside (same side you would weld).

I got to fix mine and my buddy's 250xc, may try peening then asses it before I attempt to weld.

I really think it's a job for a TIG though. I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome.

Well hell. You guys have done got me scared. I've gotta '12 250XC and my son has a '09 125SX. Gonna weld the pins this weekend since its to hot to ride anyway.