2010 450 clutch problem

hey just trying to get some advice on a problem im having with the clutch on my 2010 honda 450.

i set its so i have about 7mm of free play at the start of the race and by the 2nd lap the free play comes right to the bars and wont disengage and burning out new clutches in 2 hours.

i have been told that its due to the four bolt clutch? has anyone had eles had this problems?

Everyone with an 09 - 10 crf 450 will have this problem, there are many ways you can go about trying to fix this.

Check out http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/4151.aspx

There are a few good ways to help, You can also go the way of a Rekluse EXP clutch which gives you the joy of and auto clutch with the full feel and over ride of the 6 spring clutch that comes with this kit check it out http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/5185.aspx

Also you can try packing your stock springs with washers to increase the clamping pressure but at the risk of having a heavier pull on the clutch.

You could also go with a Magura Hydrolic clutch which will not fix the clutch from burning out but will stop you having to adjust the free play during your moto.

Or you could just learn to ride your bike and adjust your clutch over a jump or down a straight its an easy and inexpensive but still will not fix the problem.

I get 15 hours out of a clutch ( deep sand mx and clutch abuser lol ) and then throw it in the bin for a new 1 ( I went for the pack the clutch with 1.6mm washer on each spring and learnt to adjust my clutch mid flight works for me ?

All in all I really hope Honda rectifies there mistake on the crf 450 09 - 10 and goes the way of a 5 or 6 spring clutch to make it easier on all of us.?

Hope this helps and you can get back out and enjoy your ride ??

Barnett clutch plates stop that fading feeling but they seem to be a bit harsh on the pressure plate so use a standard fiber on the very inner and outter, the rest use Barnett fibers, other wise you need to keep adjusting your freeplay while you ride.

ive been told that it is my fault that i am loosing clutch cause i was adjusting it when jumping etc. i am hard on the clutch but i have never been through one in 2 hours before even in sand. ?

the clutch fades out on sand tracks we have purchased & fitted a different set off plates an steels + stronger springs prox is the brand we also now run engine oil both sides with 50ml exta so far it seems to be working todays ride will tell us for sure

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

I've been reading about all the 09-10 clutch problems with great interest as I finally picked up a slightly used 09. So where do you turn to learn about clutches? I called Al at Rekluse. This is what they do everyday, all day. He informed me that he has been working very closely with the Italian Honda team that sponsors Mika Ahola, who is currently leading his class in the WEC. Al has spent considerable time and (his) money researching to give Mika a solution. Fact is, the 02-08 Honda clutch/tranny oil design was the best in the business. In 09, the design was changed. Of course, everyone knows that they went to a 4 spring pressure plate. It's unfortunate that everyone just assumed that was the only change and, therefore, the problem. Don't know why, but the tranny oil circulation to the clutch in the 09-10 design is orders of magnitude less than the previous design. Al went ahead and made a lexan (Clear) cover for the new one and already had one for the older design to compare. The older design has an immediate and even excessive supply of oil to the clutch upon starting and running. The newer design is quite the opposite, running almost DRY! This IS the problem! The constant bath/stream of oil carries away the heat generated in the clutch in the older design but is not nearly present in the newer design. Al has designed and produced a cover that improves this along with a few other tricks to bring oil circulation back to the 09-10 clutch system. So Give Rekluse a call. Hope this helps. Oh, by the way, if you have issues with the stock 4 spring clutch, you will have issues with any other clutch system you put on unless you address the oil-to-the-clutch situation.....

Everyone with an 09 - 10 crf 450 will have this problem, there are many ways you can go about trying to fix this.

Wrong!

I had 60 hours on my stock clutch when I installed The Rekluse EXP.

No fade, no slip, still have the stock clutch plated in at 90+ hours.

ALL MOTO, no trail. I race Vet Expert, and the Rekluse is hard on the plates, I know. Use the right oil, change every race, and it will last. Oh yeah, my motor is built to the hilt!, not stock at all. If you don't abuse it, it'll last.

I talked to my freinds with 9's and 10's, and I get the same story from almost all I have talked to.

??? I don't get it.

There is a very very simple and non expensive way to eliminate 85% of this problem... The std push rod is all steel, and does not expand with the heat of the clutch.... There are other push rods available that fit straight in , that are alloy with steel end caps ... It really really does work , We have many riders now happy with there 2009-2010 clutch

we use aluminum push rods on the harly xrs for the same reason the cylinders and heads would expand so much yhat they would gain to much valve lash the aluminum push rods expanded @ the same rate the spring pressures are moderat on the harleys.

i have gone round and round with the 09 clutch. After trying almost every thing out there i found the cure. its the magura hydrolic clutch. Also, i talked to the head mechanic for honda's off road team. they use 450x fiber plates as the 450r's fiber plates are too agressive and graby. Since i switched to these two items my cluch not only works as it should, it is as smooth as butter to pull, has great modulation, and i corner so much faster/smoother. you can feather the clutch and it wont try to stand you up. I spared no cost and spent almost two years on two 09's to finally find the solution. i also believe the 2011 will almost certainly come with a hydrolic clutch for the same reasons. Honda is to proud to switch back to a six spring and admit they screwed up.

the prox clutch we put in is still working great an adding 50 ml extra oil of engine oil not transmison oil with heavier springs cant fault it and sand tracks here in western australia are very deep heavy sand tracks that are hard on most clutches have to say it is so good to get some feed back from the other side of the globe

• 2 weeks later...