Sign in to follow this  

Reliability of RF4 motors (450/505)

Just wondering about these motors as I don't seem to see a lot of posts about them. That could be good and bad, either they are really solid or very few of them out there.

So once you get the oil pump stuff replaced how reliable have these RF4 motors really been? I really think the XC4's have been kind of a bust which is sad for KTM but it's just the truth.. Ya I guess the TCT also needs to be replaced just to be safe but that's something that can be monitored and replaced down the road..

They kick a$$, it's that simple. I know of a guy with 15K offroad miles on a 450 sxf and he hasn't touched it. I tore mine down with around 50 hrs and put rings in. Everything else measured to spec and all valves looked like NEW! I race MX only and love to ring mine out down the straights. These things shriek!!

After blowing up an 08 505XCF with less than 20hrs on it, my verdict is still out. I guess it's out due to the fact I ordered all my parts 8 weeks ago and am still awaiting a few of them.... I love the motor's power and characteristics, but if you get one, pray it never breaks on you. You will be out some serious cash and waiting a long......long........long time.

I'm with Inoculation. Ruined cylinder head and exhaust cam after 20 ours on a 2010 450 due to no oil getting to head. At 25 hours a lug broke off the clutch basket and went into the oil pump gears. These next few hours will be interesting...

waiting a long......long........long time.

i order all my stuff from ktm world and have it next day. granted i'm only 5 hrs. or so away but still, and they have always had what i needed in stock.

After blowing up an 08 505XCF with less than 20hrs on it, my verdict is still out. I guess it's out due to the fact I ordered all my parts 8 weeks ago and am still awaiting a few of them.... I love the motor's power and characteristics, but if you get one, pray it never breaks on you. You will be out some serious cash and waiting a long......long........long time.

let me try this again............ktm world fast service and excellent inventory. way better than ktm hutt.......IMO.

my 08 505sx never had any problems and it was a awesome motor. very smooth yet very powerful. the 4 speed was nice. just ride around the track in one gear the whole time

2nd that, like both.... ktm world has faster service...

let me try this again............ktm world fast service and excellent inventory. way better than ktm hutt.......IMO.