Sign in to follow this  

Replacing piston

Hey guys I ordered a new piston for my 09 finally. Has 122 hrs on the clock with everything stock. My question is should I had ordered a new timing chain or will the stock one still be fine? Also how can you tell if I need a new one, or whats the life span on one?

I got 150hrs on my timing chain, did the piston change out at 100hrs, with zero issues so far. My old 06 kx450 has the original timing chain in it and it has over 250hrs, althou I think it should be changed soon. I would say your good to go, the tensioners are suspect thou, lots of people say they have engine failures from the tensioner failing, there are manual tensioners avaliable. Cheers

I replace mine every time I do the piston now. I have found some links kinked in the past but never a failure. Again, for such a cheap part why take the chance? There is a spec for stretch limit if you really want to check it and possible reuse it.

I have 90hr on mine and just order a new top end cam chain and crank and bearings. How long are you guys getting on the crank.

I have seen the main brgs. fail at 70 hrs and I have seen them fail at 270 hrs. I have seen the big end brg fail at similar intervals. It depends on how often you change the oil and total abuse. Many factors go into replacement intervals. I am a vet A rider and skill level. I maintain mine very well but for piece of mind I replace the crank every other piston change which is about 125 to 150 hrs. I just put the second crank in it a few months ago. Every time I open it up I can't believe how good it looks inside. That's what you want, replace it before it breaks or you will wish you had.

Yea I like to keep my bikes fresh for piece of mind to I ride A/pro trying to get points for my pro license so It gets it abuse but I take real good care of my stuff