Sign in to follow this  

a little more than some tender loving care??

hey guys, well i bought an '03 yz250f, i took it to the track to get the feel of it, and i really like it, its my first yamaha too.

i noticed my forks have leaked a ton since then, and its been on the stand as soon as i noticed it, if i leave it for day there will be a puddle about 4 inches wide.. also, coming out of 1st gear, the bike would "chunk" and jerk foreward a few inches and was really hard to take off out of first, i adjusted the clutch and that problem seems to have gone away. any tips what to do to make this bike running top notch would be great.

hey guys, well i bought an '03 yz250f, i took it to the track to get the feel of it, and i really like it, its my first yamaha too.

i noticed my forks have leaked a ton since then, and its been on the stand as soon as i noticed it, if i leave it for day there will be a puddle about 4 inches wide.. also, coming out of 1st gear, the bike would "chunk" and jerk foreward a few inches and was really hard to take off out of first, i adjusted the clutch and that problem seems to have gone away. any tips what to do to make this bike running top notch would be great.

You need new fork seals. I cant keep seals in my 04 for much more than 3 rides the long distance dessert racing kills them fast. Replace them with factory seals don't by any cheaper ones you will just go through them faster. When you transport your bike use a seal saver. Its a plastic block that goes between the front fender and your tire they take a lot of stress off the seals.

Your shifting issue could be either a worn out clutch that has some friction material missing or even a possible broken tooth. If a tooth is broken the bike with jerk any time you are in first gear almost like a miss. I would pull your clutch cover off and check out your clutch.

Get it done right away and don't ride it like that. It may over heat and you'll start losing seals and internal pieces which can cause some expensive permanent damage in extreme cases. No one really makes cheap aftermarket replacements either.

You need more than just seals for the forks, you will need new bushings as well. That's the root of the cause.

This is not true. You only need to replaced bushings if they are worn out. Leaky seals does not mean a worn bushing.

okay thanks. my buddy's mech will do it for $200. do you think that is a fair price to get it done?

thats a good question lol.

ive never had any problems on my past kx100, kx125, or my honda trail bikes or dual sport, but its been a real headache with these seals. but i dont even know where to start on them. but im getting it fixed this week sometime probably.

thats a good question lol.

ive never had any problems on my past kx100, kx125, or my honda trail bikes or dual sport, but its been a real headache with these seals. but i dont even know where to start on them. but im getting it fixed this week sometime probably.

It is easy. And do yourself a favor and replace the bushings also. They are not expensive and easy to replace as well. They are probably worn and this is the time to replace otherwise your new seals will leak as well. Been there! Even though the seals are easy, taking the forks apart twice is less easy:bonk: to do the bushings you should have replaced the first go around:thumbsup: