Sign in to follow this  

01 carb question

I posted this Saturday and since the new form has ate my thread before I got a chance to get any replies here we go again.

So I was cleaning up my bike when I noticed the choke assembly said idle adjust on the side of. I never noticed that before and always thought the other black plastic screw on the side of the carb was the idle adjustment. I looked it up and it is called (set stop screw) what is the purpose of this and where should it be set at? How many turns out or what ever. If I turn it all the way in my bike idles real high and the idle/choke knob does nothing. If I turn it out about four turns then the idle/choke does allow me to adjust the idle. I am just confused as to its purpose. Seems like it may adjust the slide or something but i am not sure. Anyone can enlighten me on this it would be great. Thanks!!

That plastic is the idle adjust and it works by prevent the slide which is attached to throttle cable from dropping down to far to have a low idle. Turn that about 2 turns out.

You adjust the air screw first which you start at about 1 turn out. When you rev the bike, it should drop down to idle fairly fast. If it hangs, you need to turn in the air screw to make it richer almost to the point of dying. When 1/2 turn more in makes it die, you then turn IN the plastic idle screw so that after a rev it drops down to idle without killing. Air screw is ALWAYS first.

Then why on the side of the choke pull knob does it say Idle adjust and show arrows turning both directions? I can adjust the idle by turning the choke knob so which is the correct one to use to adjust the idle if the set stop screw is the one you are saying adjust the idle?

That is for your choke Idle adjust and it should be 12 clicks out. If you have it to far out it could lean your cold motor out on start up.

That is for your choke Idle adjust and it should be 12 clicks out. If you have it to far out it could lean your cold motor out on start up.

Ohhhhh!! that makes more sense. Thanks man:thumbsup:

Hmmm, they musta changed that for 01's as I can't find anything like that on my 99 carb and I do vaguely remember them discussing 'clicks' in the manual for carbs on some years and I wasn't totally disassembling mine and it always started so I was going to screw with it. Needless to say, thanks for making me look at my carb as I can see I need to put my air intake side on farther as it's barely on. That's another thing which pisses me off about manufacturer design and 'engineering' which 'engineers' claim is so thorough because aside from the freakin cable coming out of the carb too close to the frame, the back side of the air intake boot, next to the shock, is always a BITCH to get on and if you just let the carb 'sit' in the engine side, the other air side doesn't even line up.......and yes, everything is stock and nothing is 'brittle'.

I think they did change the 01 carbs because the book for (99) I have shows the top of the carb being round screw top and my carb is not round on top it is some odd shaped cap that has like two screws holding it on. here is a picture of it from parts store.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?partcategory=88220&manufacturer=5&category=3&year=2001&model=2002

Yea, that's a sucky carb all around with that top, too, as mine just unscrews like a peanut butter lid and I saw on another thread that magnificent engineering feat was ONLY on the 01 and 02! You are lucky!

Yea, that's a sucky carb all around with that top, too, as mine just unscrews like a peanut butter lid and I saw on another thread that magnificent engineering feat was ONLY on the 01 and 02! You are lucky!

I can't complain about it. I have never had any issues out of it so far. I only just noticed that choke idle ajustment on it so my hands have been pretty free from the carb thus far.

Keihin PJ and PWM carbs did not have idle adjustment screws, instead they used an adjustable choke (starter valve) for both cold starts and to adjust idle. The Keihin PWK uses a non adjustable choke for cold starts only and an idle adjustment screw (slide stop screw) for idle. Apparently though for a couple years Suzuki spec'd their PWK's with an adjustable choke in addition to the idle adjustment screw. Your's is one of those. FWIW I doubt that adjusting your choke (starter bybass) has anything to do with the idle you get when the choke is pulled up into the cold engine start position. Instead I think adjusting the choke knob determines how high off it's seat the choke plunger is held when the choke knob is pushed down in the warm engine/run mode. With the choke plunger lifted off it's seat air and fuel are allowed to reach the motor through the starter circuit, bypassing the pilot circuit and the slide. Both of these circuits (starter and pilot) are delivering fuel/air in approximately the same throttle range and will have to be adjusted to work with each other. Here's a couple links that might help. A page from a Suzuki manual. https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8496699&postcount=168

And a thread https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=706633&highlight=