Sign in to follow this  

2000-2004 which 250 2 stroke?

Im looking for an older bike to ride some beginner mx track (30+) and trails with my son. I dont have a ton of money. $2000 is my limit. It would have to be ready to ride at that price. I'm thinking that a 2000-2004 250 2 stroke would be in my price range. I'm a little afraid to buy a four storke thats ten years old unless the owner can prove he's had the top end rebuilt.

I've rode a kx 250 in the 90's so I'm familiar with two strokes and comfortable with them. Which brand would you go with if you were buying? What are the pros and cosn of each model in this time frame? CR's and yz' are most common in my area. I found a 2000 Cr 250 in my area for $1300 that looks tempting. I am looking at it this weekend.

Thats good to know. Occaisionally a manufacturer will build something for a year or two that's less than stellar or has major mechanical problems. There arent a whole lot of bikes for sale in this category so being able to choose any of the big 4 is a bonus.

YZs have notorious great low end torque and trail motors. CRs 00 and 01 are similiar motor wise. 02+ CRs are mid-top motors. 00 RM is decent but the 01+ got new plastics and frame - notorious quick turning bikes. KX 00-02 had good low end power but the 03+ became more mid-top but "smoother".

My neighbor had a KX, great great bike. Just to fast for the little trails we have right behind our houses. most 250smokers are too fast for back there though. YZ looks like a nice one though any of those 2 I would pick from

There are some decent deals on KTM250's in that price range around here, but as stated before, find the best bike for the $, if you don't have a color preference.

00-01 cr250r's work well in the woods with minor work, fww/gnarley. A cr that cheap is probably gonna need swingarm bearings, shock/fork service, and all the regular stuff that an unmaintained bike will need

IMO, go with a YZ or RM. I'd look for an 02+ YZ and 01+ RM. The yz changed pretty dramatically in 02, so i wouldn't go older, and if you can find an 04 rm, thats when they went to the modern style showa forks, which is lightyears ahead of the older stuff they used from 01-03. Which ever you get the best deal on of those two would be my choice. 👍

I dont see many used ktm's for sale in this area. The dealership in town is too new to have many ten year old bikes around, but I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks to everyone for the information.