Ever try dying green plastic?

My gas tank is ugly as sin. I keep bidding on them on ebay but I always lose lol. Apparently the previous owner or the one before that had let it sit out in the sun till the plastic was bleached and baked. Then they replaced all of the plastic with new black plastic, except of course the insanely expensive gas tank. I tried heat gunning it, that brought back some shine (And some tiny bubbles where I got too zealous on some nasty spots). If I do the rit dye in the trash can thing, will it dye green plastic? in the write up the guy mentioned he had doubts about it working on green, anyone tried it? I think black will hide the crustiness better than lime green. It doesn't have heavy oxidation, just tiny surface cracks in a couple places and fading.

ya id do it. black dye covers most everything and it sounds like you are getting a new one (or trying to) so id try and save a lil cash. worst case you ruin it and get a new one like u planned to ?

I would scuff it up good with some sandpaper and paint it with some Krylon paint that is developed to adhere to the plastic. That should get you by until you can get a new tank. Also, you could touch up any scratches with the paint. Temporary fix but it should work.

krylon fucshion work just dont use rubbing alchol to clean plastic first and make sure you put twice as many clear coats as krylon and it will look god and when it become dull just add more clear coat.... make sure you let it harden for a least a week before you ride