Sign in to follow this  

Real quick Master Cylinder Question

Hey guys, i'v been fighting with my front brakes for a long time with my 1998 RT180, same master cylinder as alot of YZ's and TTR's.

So basicly is this how this is supposed to go together? All my hsop manual says is assemble the same way it was taken apart but when i got the bike it was already dissasembled. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

photo.jpg

Been a while since I've had one apart but it looks correct to me.

Hmmm, I keep getting blow outs from the master cylinder whenever a bit of pressure builds up, iv tried putting it together a dew different ways and am on my 3rd rebuild kit, any ideas what may cause this?

Hmmm, I keep getting blow outs from the master cylinder whenever a bit of pressure builds up, iv tried putting it together a dew different ways and am on my 3rd rebuild kit, any ideas what may cause this?

3rd rebuild kit?

I'd suggest going to ebay and buying another 11mm master for $15 and calling it good.

sorry im new to all this, a 11mm master? Do you have a link or anything like that? When i type that in ebay i just get pool que stuff lol.

sorry im new to all this, a 11mm master? Do you have a link or anything like that? When i type that in ebay i just get pool que stuff lol.

The "11" refers to the piston size. That size is common in dirt bikes. Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha used them. You can get by with a master cylinder form any modern mx bike. Many of us have switched to a Honda cr master and it works well. You cna use any one of them from abotu 1998-2010. The newer ones (2008-2010) may be a little better, but they are all good.

The body of yours must have something wrong with it to tear seals up so badly.

Hey guys, thanks for all hte help, recieved my honda cr master cylinder yesterday in the mail, threw it on and low and behold, i have front brakes! Again thanks for all hte help guys, its my first bike and this was really starting to frustrate me lol.

Glad it worked for you! It sort of sucks to waste the old one, but its often cheaper to replace the things from ebay.