Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust heat shield on DR 650

I notice that a get a little heat on my right leg from the exhaust. Have any of you found a better way to shield that heat off of the exhaust pipe other then the stock heat shield or something in addition to the shield to keep the heat off your right inside shin???

Just put "header wrap" into Google or into the thumpertalk search. Its a fiberglass strap that you wrap around the exhaust pipe. I've never used one, but they're pretty commonly used.

I just figured out that I'm running lean as a result of the excessive heat on my right leg. I'd noticed it a little before, but yesterday I was riding 2up and it was radiating much more. I was feeling uneasy about it so I thought I'd pull the remote choke a hair just to see what would happen. After a minute or so the heat I'd felt before was gone.

Later I pulled up to a stopsign and of course it would not idle like that so I pushed the choke back in and as soon as I ran through the gears I immediately felt it. So I pulled it out and the heat dissapated.

I had already checked the outer spark plug, but I thought that gray on the porcelian was ok. I've since found that it ain't. As it turns out gray = white.

So I guess I'm saying try a bigger mainjet or raise the needle.

my 2¢

These California bikes run very lean, I'm getting like 58 to 60 MPG on this bike.

I'd hate to lose that great gas milage.

Of course the bike lacks power, can't get out of it's own way. LOL

Hey, mopeds get great fuel economy.....🤣

🤣👍

You know what they say about those things.

Mopeds are alot o' fun but you never want your friends to catch you riding one.🙂