Sign in to follow this  

Made the move from KDX200 to CRF450R

My 13yo son was tired of riding his XR200 and kept taking my KDX200 so I decided to buy myself a CRF450R and let him have the 2T. I got an '03 that looks to be very well maintained. The bike is basically stock execpt for heavier shock and fork springs for a 250 lb rider (I'm still 20 lbs heavier). The bike runs and handles well. I took it for a short ride yesterday in the sweltering 92 deg heat. The bike fired on the second kick cold, 1-3 kicks for hot restarts. The idle seems too fast when fully warmed up and my right leg was feeling a little toasty. I know the book says 1700 rpm (I read as many previous posts as I can find), but I don't have a tachometer so I can't tell if I'm too fast or just right. Should I just turn the idle screw and see how it feels? Wait and check it on a cooler day? Any advice? The PO seemed to know what he was doing, the bike fired up easily for the demo.

PO? Probation officer???

This is a race bike. Keep it moving to keep air flowing through the radiators. The idle was more than likely turned up just a bit to help reduce stalling

I set my idle up abit on my race bikes to help prevent stalling. The bike will feel hot when its just sitting there idleing, as it needs air moving through the radiators to cool it down, from what you described i think your bike is running fine.

Throw one of the combo hour/tach meters on it. That way you can track your service intervals AND set your idle without guessing.

The Moose, DrD, Hardline, and Yamaha hour meters are all basically the same device. I haven't had any issues with mine. It's basically 50 cents worth of electronics being packaged into a $35 product. You might find one cheaper if you hunt around. Just make sure its the hour/tach combo meter if you really want the tach.