Sign in to follow this  

Minnesota Try a District 23 Enduro??

This is from the District 23 forum for Akeley West Enduro:

We'll have at least half a dozen rows set aside so three new enduro racers per row can learn how to ride an Enduro with out burning the in checks and learn the ropes with some one that can answer quesions, and tell up when to drop the hammer and how and where the clubs may have possible snicky checks.

It's best to wear a cheap digital watch that you know how to set the time on so you can adjust it to the clubs key time, set it so it's at 12:00 when your row leaves and you can watch as your watch matches up to the corner marker times deep in the woods, it's actually very cool.

You don't even need a watch, your mentor will help you zero the checks and keep the points down, zero's and low points are a very good thing.

No double jumps, no first turn pile-ups, no five lap hammered trail, just bitch'in single track and special use event only single track.

Rex says your guarentied to have fun, and he's promissed ample resets to get everyone back on time.

Akeley Enduro West

Date: June 12 & 13, 2010

I was going to ride it again this year. But a friend of mine wants to ride the UMTA Trimbelle Free Fun Day.

Why must these off road events overlap when there are so many empty weekends?

I understand that scheduling enduros and trials events isn't a top of the heap issue.

But the Akeley Nationals were on the same weekend as the superbike races at BIR in the past as well.

Scheduling seems to beat up on motorcycle junkies more often than random accidents would seem to indicate.

I guess it's a good thing when we have too many events, sure beats not having

any!

No doubt. But you know how it goes. You would rather ride both events than have to choose.

I rode Akeley Tuesday and Wednesday last week. It's amazing how high the annuals have grown already. I recon some of that will go away after the event.

But I ride up there with old guys. The event gives me the opportunity to ride it a ton in one day.

We checked out the east side on Wednesday. The event over there is going to be some work. There's lots of logging going on over there.

That trials event was awesome. The guys who set it up thought maybe five guys would show up. About forty people were there. They set up a "Gate Trials" and split into four teams of about six willing riders.

They had six sections that consisted of several gates. Line selection was up to the rider. But you couldn't cross your own track unless it was made clear that you could. Time limited the rounds to two.

Each gate had a score from one to fifteen. Your goals was to score as many gates as possible within a given section. But you had to clean the section. One dab negated your score for the section. Everyone except one whiny fat kid had a great time. Apparently Whiny is a pretty good rider. But he had a lot of good scores evaporate to the single dab format. His losses weren't all his fault really. His dad was on his team, and dad was frequently urging him to grab an extra gate here and there. A lot of those heres and theres were where dabs occurred. Dear old dad turn out to be pretty good rider for the other teams.

My team included a guy who lives only a couple of miles away. Nice guy. Pretty good rider.

It was good to get back on the bike again. The darn thing was down all last year. I had some trouble with it. I fixed it. But the instant I got it fixed the darn thing developed a coolant that I couldn't trace. I became disgusted after some failed attempts to fix it and shoveled it in the shed (solitary confinement). I pulled it out a week or so ago. I quickly traced the source of the leak and fixed that baby.

I came to the event with a brand new tubeless Michelin rear, price on of those once. Sure enough. I somehow managed to put a small cut in the sidewall. Fortunately I had a plug kit in the truck. I didn't even miss a section, and the darn thing seems to hold air long enough to ride an event. I ride a trials tire on my black YZ most of the time. So when the current one wears out I'll swap it with the one on the trials bike and toss a new one on the Gas Gas.

That trials event was awesome. The guys who set it up thought maybe five guys would show up. About forty people were there. They set up a "Gate Trials" and split into four teams of about six willing riders.

They had six sections that consisted of several gates. Line selection was up to the rider. But you couldn't cross your own track unless it was made clear that you could. Time limited the rounds to two.

Each gate had a score from one to fifteen. Your goals was to score as many gates as possible within a given section. But you had to clean the section. One dab negated your score for the section. Everyone except one whiny fat kid had a great time. Apparently Whiny is a pretty good rider. But he had a lot of good scores evaporate to the single dab format. His losses weren't all his fault really. His dad was on his team, and dad was frequently urging him to grab an extra gate here and there. A lot of those heres and theres were where dabs occurred. Dear old dad turn out to be pretty good rider for the other teams.

My team included a guy who lives only a couple of miles away. Nice guy. Pretty good rider.

It was good to get back on the bike again. The darn thing was down all last year. I had some trouble with it. I fixed it. But the instant I got it fixed the darn thing developed a coolant that I couldn't trace. I became disgusted after some failed attempts to fix it and shoveled it in the shed (solitary confinement). I pulled it out a week or so ago. I quickly traced the source of the leak and fixed that baby.

I came to the event with a brand new tubeless Michelin rear, price on of those once. Sure enough. I somehow managed to put a small cut in the sidewall. Fortunately I had a plug kit in the truck. I didn't even miss a section, and the darn thing seems to hold air long enough to ride an event. I ride a trials tire on my black YZ most of the time. So when the current one wears out I'll swap it with the one on the trials bike and toss a new one on the Gas Gas.

A trials bike would have been a good choice at Akeley Sunday 👍