Sign in to follow this  

Review of Suspension book

I recently was offered a new press release book to read,The Race Tech’s Suspension Bible by Paul Thede and Lee Parks. I figured it might be of intrest to some of the TT members. This is a link to the Press release from the publisher http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/Product_Search.aspx?Q=Race Tech's suspension bible

The Race Tech Suspension Bible is 256 pages long. The book covers suspension principles in more depth than I have seen anywhere else. It will give the rider a understanding how and why their suspension works. The authors go into depth how hydralics work in the suspension components. They back up the principles with solid math formulas, and excellent drawings, diagrams and photos.

The book also covers a chapter on bike geometry, which explains the different terms you have seen thrown around in the magazines, trail,steering angle,axle offset, tripple clamp offset, and more. The book explains how these factors affect a bike’s handling

There is a chapter on trouble shooting and testing. Explaining when the bike is doing something good or bad and how to correct it or make it better.

The last chapter covers suspension service. It covers dampening rod forks, cartridge forks, single chamber, and dual chamber forks, shocks from the 1970, reservoir shocks, and KTM PDS shocks. Everything is accompanied with excellent photographs and explanations along side the photos. My own side note, I would have liked a more in depth explanation of bleeding the air out of a shock. Also I would have appreciated a view of a vacum machine bleeding a shock.

The appendix cover brefily lowering suspension, swingarm length, Race Tech tools,and a testing log.

On the Whole you will not find all this information in one source. The book will give the rider a understanding of what their bike is doing in different situations, and how to make it better or worse. An understanding of the principles explained in the book can make the rider faster and in my opinion a safer.

I found a copy at a local Barnes and Noble. Good book and thanks for posting about it! I have not checked that section for years as they never have anything new.

Hmmm everywhere I look says not published yet, will definitely pick one up to see if it can improve my understanding of suspension.

Just to get another perspective on suspension I went to our Barnes and Noble and bought one. The best 34 bucks I've spent in awhile.

Its start out very basic. But, it will be a good platform or foundation to build from. I like the section about areas to reduce friction and it gives tips.

Thanks to Rocky for posting and RCannon giving us the heads up on Barnes and Noble. I like immediate gratification so I was pleased just to get the book and not waiting on it in the mail.

Now, I'm waiting for Dave,Russ,mog and shockdoc to team up and come out with their book.🤣👍 "

Edited by jwaseman

Now, I'm waiting for Dave,Russ,mog and shockdoc to team up and come out with their book.🤣👍 "

sorry to say but the one i started already some time ago will be in german.🤣

Frez, You can be in charge of the German version. 👍

We can call it the "TT Suspension Diaries" including NCMM stirring the pot.:thumbsup:LOL!

Have one on order from Barnes and Noble,but haven't got it yet.Whats the hold up

including NCMM stirring the pot.:thumbsup:LOL!

that's probably gonna be a tough one then 👍

I just ordered one from Amazon.ca 👍

Thanks for the heads up, ordered one hopefully they are accurate that it's in stock.

While finishing the book. Its a must read if you are a beginner or want a snap shot in the suspension world.

The book is full with illustrations and very clear on what they are explaining.

I still have that translator program So send it over..🤣

As a side note for those who want to learn. Man read read and read more.

Get as much of the different views and theories as you can.

There will come a time, when you can take all these views, and process them from or into your own findings.👍

I still have that translator program

Sorry, Russ, but i'm afraid your gummi frau translator won't be able to analyze it 👍

Sorry, Russ, but i'm afraid your gummi frau translator won't be able to analyze it 👍

I guess not, it showed gummi as misspelled in the translator LOL:smirk:

Have one on order from Barnes and Noble,but haven't got it yet.Whats the hold up

I ordered from amazon yesterday and it said aug4-sept.15 delivery.

For those of you who already have this book..........Is this book based around the THEORY of suspension systems or is it designed to help somebody actually do the work on suspensions. My son races motocross and lost his suspension guy, and I am going to start doing it all myself. Will it help with simple stuff like shock and fork spring replacement or revalving.

Im only on chapter 2 so far, but I flipped through it and in chapter 8 it has step by step instructions and pictures on how to completely take apart forks and shocks right down to taking the valve shims out, and putting it all back together. It covers Damping Rod Forks, Standard Cartridge forks with gold valve installation, Twin Chamber forks, Emulsion Shocks, Reservoir Shocks (KYB/Showa), WP Shocks. It had tips and tricks for each of the suspension types.

This book is worth every penny so far.

Thanks intensem1rider, sounds great. I called Barnes and Noble and they are putting one aside for me to pick up. Suspension work is the one thing that I am dying to learn about. Would love to be good enough to do it as a side job.