Sign in to follow this  

losing coolant after crash

I needs some advice. I had an over the bars crash to where the bike landed on the left radiator. It didn't bend the radiator but did bend the brace. Now every time I ride I check the levels and its down to the top cooling fins inside. Also, there is not a leak anywhere. I think I'm losing it through the overflow. Any suggestions?

My 09 450 has the coolant level in the same spot. It's nothing to worry about. Your right it is just being pushed out the overflow when it gets warm, you could rig up a surge tank so that when it cools it would refill the rads. I just leave it. Hope this helps, cheers

If you want to keep more in...then use a 1.6 rad cap. but it is typical on kawis to have the coolant be real low when cold.👍

thats what I had hoped but before the crash the levels stayed at the top of the radiator.

Any reason why its different now?

Maybe now you are just noticing it and thus observing what it does more instead of just seeing coolant and saying OK thats where it was, lets go. Now you are more meticulous. I am the same way with my bikes, I get anal about noise with my 250f, its a little loose with the valves and barely in spec and that causes noise, this is after i blew it up, so now I pay more attention to it.....

Update!!

I was at the track this weekend and because it was so hot I parked the bikes under my tent. After coming back in from my first ride I sat next to the bike and noticed there was coolant leaking from the hose connected to the water pump. I had tightened it with a screw driver but apparently that was not good enough. After getting some more torque on it all seems better 👍