Sign in to follow this  

75 Honda XL 250 rebuild

My garage was getting boring so I went out and picked up this clean '75 250. Runs good although I'm planning on going through the top end anyway.

It's my first ground up rebuild/restore and I want to transform it into a 'street tracker'. Halfway between cafe and supermoto. Anyway - starting to have some fun with her.

P1010020.jpg

P1010019.jpg

P1010024.jpg

P1010106.jpg

P1010125.jpg

Currently working on carb & fork rebuild and motor cleaning.

P1010018.jpg

P1010019-1.jpg

I'm thinking about painting the frame/swingarm Honda red and doing gunmetal/black everything else. Minimal lights and wiring - going for simplistic. Haven't really planned that far ahead though.

I'll post as I make more progress.

What:shocked:I personally like the original look for that XL250.

Well have fun with it:bonk:

I've already restored a few Hondas (72 cb750, 82 NC50, 2000 cr125) and it just doesn't appeal to me for this bike. I'd restore it.. then never ride it.

This bike I'd like to have as an urban cruiser.. just to have fun riding. Cafe/supermoto are both very strong words for what I intend.. but that's still fuzzy anyway.

Wasn't sure if this group is more a OEM-only restore type group - in that case, probably won't like to see what's in store for this little guy. An XL that has caught my eye..

phillipp-switzxl20.jpg

Edited by txrider06

Like I said before I like original when possible, but I do not always keep my bikes original either. I have a 73 kawi S2 that I plan on doing some pretty cool stuff with, definately wont be original. I look forward to seeing what you do with this one! Keep us posted:thumbsup:

It's all good. And that XL is bad ass! I'm sure the restorers cringe, that's a nice clean looking old bike. if you're really gonna ride them, some things have to be improved to whatever degree you can.

it's all about what YOU want. It is YOUR bike. I am doing a SL350 resto -but I am off the orginality path, had the body work painted candy green (they did not come in that color) powder coated the frame metallic silver. Wheels redone (new ones) by Buchanan spoke and wheel. Engine is apart, cases split and doing the head at B&J racing and overbore of .050 - cant find OEM bars so I will use something aftermarket (chrome) and run the wiring on the outside, unlike stock which was internal. Overall a pretty close to original resto with my own personal twists. Oh yea, also have the forks apart for a rebuild and polishing the fork legs.

I'm thinking about painting the frame/swingarm Honda red and doing gunmetal/black everything else. ..

Why would somebody want to do such a stupid thing to such a nice bike...??🤣:lol:

..only a drz rider would do that 👍

Why would somebody want to do such a stupid thing to such a nice bike...??🤣:lol:

..only a drz rider would do that🤣

Takes one to know one. 🙂👍

Just started one,has taken me over a year to get the kick starter shaft. found a brand new on on flebay ! mine will be built for ice as it is not all there.

Way too much. I'm embarrassed to say I paid $800. But I know from experience buying a cleaner bike initially usually pays in the long run.

Update coming.

UPDATE..

So I've finally gotten around to putting the damn thing back together. It looks basically the same as I still haven't decided to keep it. But.. it is much cleaner, runs much better, and is actually growing on me. New plug, battery, oil, grips, throttle tube, fuel line, fork seals & oil, greased swingarm & triple, and a new chain on the way.

Latest Pics:

IMAG0011_Medium.jpg

IMAG0016_Medium.jpg

IMAG0015_Medium.jpg

Edited by txrider06

Where are the photos? I am seeing "photo moved or deleted".... did you move or edit them on photobucket after posting?