450x decompressor

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an 08 and 09 both broke the auto decompression pin ($300 fix) each time. Found out today that they stopped selling the 08 09 version of the decomp assembly. Good to see that they have a fix for it. as my 08 is down now again.

Bump starting the bike shears off the pin in the decompression mechanism. Also stalling the bike while still moving (Rear break lock) does it as well. (that iswhat happened to mine) A truly bad design.

what changed in o8 from 07 and earlier?

The decompression mechanism changed in '08. Pre '08 had an adjustable arm going to the exhaust valve rocker. Now there is a shaft that's located inside the cam that is activated by a spring and weight on the cam gear. It's nice that you don't have to adjust it but if it breaks I don't want that pin floating around in my crank case.

If you have a 08 or 09 450x contact your Honda dealer. Honda has a fix for the decompressor problem. You will get aletter but you might want to be first in line for yours. This update will time out.

Do you have a source or link? All I found was an update notification for the '09 CRF450R. The dealer I called doesn't know anything.

EDIT: I called another dealer that filled me in. He said there is a service bulletin for early 2008 models. Give them your VIN number and they will schedule an appointment if you have one of the effected models. Thanks for the information.

Edited by BigRichard

My 09x is in the shop now for a month with decomp broke! been waiting ever since. Suppose to have ew parts this week , hopfully its the updated one!!This happened at the shop after first oil change. Was driving it to my truck.

I also got my letter for the X yesturday. I just dont know what dealer to take it to... I'm worried they'll f something up doing the fix and I'll be up sh*& creek cause I cant prove it.

I guess I'm just paranoid.

I also got my letter for the X yesturday. I just dont know what dealer to take it to... I'm worried they'll f something up doing the fix and I'll be up sh*& creek cause I cant prove it.

Same here. Haven't got the notice yet, but I'd prefer they just give me the part and I'll throw it in

I got my recall notice today. Problem is, mine failed the 1st month and 100 miles I owned it. Had an independant fix it over 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since.So do I let the dealer in there and risk loosing a better part and leave it alone or go for the supposedly upgraded one..

I got my recall notice today. Problem is, mine failed the 1st month and 100 miles I owned it. Had an independant fix it over 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since.So do I let the dealer in there and risk loosing a better part and leave it alone or go for the supposedly upgraded one..

It's a way better looking part. It's a simple repair. The up date times out in 2015. If the pin would brake off you could have 2 heat treated parts float around in your engine. IMO change it. Sorry to hear your local dealer turned you off that bad.

FWIW, I would change it. Sounds like it's a redesign of the parts involved. I would assume that your independent simply replaced the failed parts when they fixed it. Given that, you've got the possibility of failing again.

Also in with that recall notice was a form to fill out if you had previously paid for a repair. You might be able to get reimbursed for that first go around and of course this one would be free.

Jim.

Yeah I mean man, if you can't trust the dealer service dept, who can you trust? Most carry some type of certification or have had Honda training and of course they have access to all the manuals and special tools.

And consider they do have a rep to maintian. If they do shoddy work, they'd be out of business fast.

Of course I'm saying that knowing my Honda dealer has been around for something like 30 years. Your situation may be totaly different.

Jim.

FWIW, I would change it. Sounds like it's a redesign of the parts involved. I would assume that your independent simply replaced the failed parts when they fixed it. Given that, you've got the possibility of failing again.

Also in with that recall notice was a form to fill out if you had previously paid for a repair. You might be able to get reimbursed for that first go around and of course this one would be free.

Jim.

I can see where s10rick is coming from. I have a local dealership that has a good reputation. I know half the people that work there and ride with several of them. They did a valve adjustment on my first CRF in 2002. I got it back with the timing off a tooth and the bolt heads on the cam sprocket were rounded and not torqued. I wondered how much dirt they let fall into the crank case. The guys at the shop were embarrassed and the tech that did the work no longer works there. That was the last time I've let a dealership work on my bike. I would prefer someone with OCD (like myself) to do the work on my bike. Edited by BigRichard