Sign in to follow this  

SSS Forks slide into 2003 YZ250 Triple Clamps??

I have seached the threads over the last couple of days and can't seem to find a definitive answer...

I have a bone stock 2003 YZ250. Will the 2006 and later SSS forks slide into my existing triple clamps? I realize that there are a number of minor issues (fork lug thickness, 1-2 mm axle spacer width, brake line routing) but I am not concerned about these things.

I only want to know whether the forks will slide into the triples, or whether I would need to use a later triple clamp, and if so, what year?

Thanks!

Edited by AHRMA17L
Spelling

I think you need to update the triple clamps as well.. 06+ They changed in 05, then again in 06..

As these guys said, you need the newer triples. '03 were 46mm forks. Diameter increased in '04.

new triples plus the stem I believe as well. Wheel spacers may be different as well as brakes, not to sure on that. Basically to play it safe, if you had a whole front SSS end then it should bolt onto the frame.

New forks are 48mm and clamp positions are different

Thanks, I appreciate it guys.

The decision was to swap to the SSS forks or to have the existing forks revalved with the Smart Performance Dell Taco kit.

I think I’ll just stay with the 2003 forks and go with the Smart Performance revalve.

Then again, perhaps the 2004 triple will work, since the aluminum fram triple would require steering stop modification to the frame.

SSS forks are overrated IMO.

The 46mm inverted forks that yammy has been using for a long time are great. They went to the dual chamber forks in 05 and then dual chamber sss forks in 06.

I think if you were to ride alot of hard MX track you would like the SSS forks, but for the occasional riding, especially trail riding or hare scrambles, SSS will not make a huge difference.

Revalve with subtanks on those forks is as good as anything I have ever ridden. In fact, I have a set of Enzo subtanks for sale, if you're interested.