1975 Kawasaki Z1-900 Restoration

First thread! ?

This was my Fathers 75 Z1 he bought new the same year I was born. It was stored in his garage (2nd wife didn't want him riding) for 14+ years. He passed in 97 and when the bike saw the light of day it began to deteriorate pretty quick. Surface rust popped up everywhere and the clear on the tank lifted, any of the zinc plated hardware/spokes tarnished. So I tore it down a few years back and finally getting around to restoring it.

Original brochure

Brochure.jpg

Brochure2.jpg

Me and my Pops in 76?

Pics002.jpg

The bike before teardown

Camera047.jpg

This is how it sat for 3 years?

900006.jpg

900004.jpg

And finally some progress:

I picked up a small sandblaster from Grainger, works "ok". I had some clogging problems until I installed a water seperator. Still took a while. The frame is stripped and in primer. I should have it painted by the end of the day. I ordered new rims and spokes so I'll rebuild the wheels and polish the engine while the paint cures. More pics to follow.

IMG_7926.jpg

IMG_7928.jpg

Primed and painted with PJ1 epoxy frame paint. Never used it before but their OEM frame paints were pretty good. Powdercoating was out of the question since the frame tag was still in tact.

IMG_7931.jpg

Made a polishing station out of an old motor I had. Found the arbor at Lowes on sale for $0.25! Bought 2.

IMG_7934.jpg

Polishing & cleaning

IMG_7933.jpg

Nasty wheels, spokes and rims on order.

IMG_7940.jpg

Got a little more cleaning done today, and remembered to bring the engine mounting hardware.

New plugs and mounted the coils. Still waiting on more paint to arrive so anything that's painted black is on hold. Which is a total buzz kill right now.

IMG_8103.jpg

IMG_8111.jpg

Took the carbs apart and they were worse than I thought. I got the bodies cleaned, you can see the difference with the nasty bowls. New kits on order.

IMG_8106.jpg

IMG_8105.jpg

IMG_8104.jpg

The hub is cleaned and polished along with the brake. Cleaned and greased the brake pins, cleaned the inside of the brake and installed new wheel bearings.

IMG_8109.jpg

NICE!!!!! My dad had a new 900 kz and latter had a 77(?) 1000. In 1981 that i rode it a bit when i was in high school.Man,the things that i did on that thing! A buddy of mine and i would ride it,he'd sit back on the passenger rest and i could wheelie forever.. I almost had my licence taken away by the state. OH man those were the days!

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet, I got some audience now. ?

I just got back from the Dominican, catching up on things then getting back to the bike.

I laced the rear wheel before I left but the new rim was messed up. I got the replacement rim, more paint and the carb kits so I should have some pics up in a few days.

The engine is fine besides a leaky shifter seal and the fact that it's been sitting for most of it's life.

Can't wait to fire this bitch up. :banana:

Messed around with it a bit today. Got some small parts like little brackets, battery box, etc. painted. Still need to clean/polish the drive side of the rear wheel. So much work just in that one wheel! ? Got some electrical installed too. If it cools off here a little I might play around with a zinc plating kit I bought to restore some hardware.

IMG_8787.jpg

IMG_8785.jpg

IMG_8784.jpg

First thread! ?

This was my Fathers 75 Z1 he bought new the same year I was born. It was stored in his garage (2nd wife didn't want him riding) for 14+ years. He passed in 97 and when the bike saw the light of day it began to deteriorate pretty quick. Surface rust popped up everywhere and the clear on the tank lifted, any of the zinc plated hardware/spokes tarnished. So I tore it down a few years back and finally getting around to restoring it.

Original brochure

Brochure.jpg

Brochure2.jpg

Me and my Pops in 76?

Pics002.jpg

The bike before teardown

Camera047.jpg

This is how it sat for 3 years?

900006.jpg

900004.jpg

This is a cool thread. Subscribed!

When you're done, you'll need this:

http://www.sydneysvintageclothing.com/store/p/8470-Vintage-70-s-Brown-Leather-Men-s-Jacket-Coat-Large.html?feed=froogle :banana:

Thanks man.

I picked up a zinc plating kit from Eastwood to save money on new hardware. If any of you have restored something you know that a big part of your budget goes to new hardware and it's a necessity to have something that's done right.

Anyway, the parts came out better than expected. Eastwood doesn't give the best instructions on time in the solution, but I figured out that 4-5 minutes works the best for these sized parts. They say to leave larger items in longer so I left one of the axle adjusters in for 9-10 minutes and it came out all flaky and weird. So I sand blasted it again and put it in for 5 minutes.

These adjusters are available aftermarket for about $45, the plating kit only costs $70.

Before

IMG_8788.jpg

and after

IMG_8792.jpg

• Brian unpinned this topic