So 2010 YZ250F Owners

I wanted to hear feedback from anyone running a 2010 YZ 250F since I don't see a lot of information out there on this bike other than it has a weak engine.

Is this bike capable of performing with some engine work or a BB? How about suspension, turning prowess and overall handling?

Thanks!

i got mine in feb and was only able to ride for 2 weeks while i was home for R&R. but here is what i can tell you. my last bike is an 05 yzf 250.

first off i wouldnt say the motor is "weak" it sure has a lot of pull from bottom to mid. but it does fall pretty flat on top. i ordered 1 tooth smaller sprocket, havent ridden it since but should give it some more on top. when i got to ride the only mod i had on the bike was an FMF TI Powercore, with TI Powerbomb. I had also ordered a Quick Shot 2 and a Twin Air Power Kit for a little more oomph.

comming off of the 2005 to this bike it felt to me like a 125. sure corners like one as well. the suspension in stock form felt a little spongy, however was still plush and resisted bottoming. (i weigh 165) depending on how fast you are and how much you weigh you might think about some stiffer springs. i rode at an indoor facility which was more supercross than motocross, so i cant really tell you much about how it handles in rough outdoor conditions. i did however go on a few hour trail ride through tight - tree cluttered trails, rock gardens, streem crossings, and anything you can find out in the woods and she took it all pretty well.

hope this helps, any other questions let me know ill try to help you out.

I have read the weak engine reviews too, but it actually won the Dirt Bike 250 shoot out. According to the radar runs in Dirt Riders shoot out it was at the top off the start and only the Kawasaki beat it in the third gear roll on test. I think the problem is that since it makes so much bottom end power that the top feels slow to some, kinda like when you put a BB on a bike. It has the same engine as the older yzf's so if you wanted more power, it should be easy to come by. With just a good porting job you could find 4 horses or so.

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/motocross/141_1004_2010_250f_mx_mid_size_comparison/photo_25.html

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/motocross/141_1004_2010_250f_mx_mid_size_comparison/photo_26.html

My 09 does lack any top end at all but some bikes just have to be short shifted and problem solved. I'd love to upgrade to a 10' but I'll stick with my 9 and see what the future holds for the little blue thumper.

i love everything about it.. as for the motor i think its great..it may not have as much as the kaw and ktm but i dont think its flat... i did put on a fmf 4.1 with powerbomb header and really felt a good gain through out the powerband.. the fmf really helped out the top.. the motor is not weak at all..imo it is really a big leap over last years bike..

Edited by squale147

I just rode mine for the first time yesterday at a local track that is relatively sandy and towards the end of the day gets some breaking bumps.

Im coming off of an 08 with factory connection valved and sprung suspension, Dr. D pipe, and high comp. piston, I previously had an 06. I have been racing B class for the heck of it the last couple years in ND and MN. First off the thing is LIGHT on the track. I couldn't believe how different it felt. I was the first person on the track and they worked it horribly, it was a bunch of skull sized chunks of dirt that was worked deep. My old bike would have been working its tail off and dragging plow, I now felt like I was riding on top of the dirt and it wasnt robbing my power. However, because it felt so light and nimble when I hit a dirt chunk or a line real funky it seemed like it had a tendency to jump and get slightly skiddish where my old bike would have plowed through what ever it was like a bulldozer. The bike felt really athletic, it was nimble and it went where you pointed it in turns. It really handled like a dream, I am so impressed. I was so impressed with it I let my buddies ride it the first day, even a stranger ha.

After putting a downpayment on it i started reading reviews talking about a low end motor that ultimately sucks. Ive always been a higher rev guy so I was a little scared and already worried about how much money I would have to throw at the bike to make it competitive. I thought it rocked. I couldn't ride the 08 with out at least a pipe, it felt so dang doggy. I have no plans of modding this at all it was fast right out of the crate.

In summary, (in my opinion) the thing rocked! It does incredible in turns. On sweepers it hooked up so nice, the rear end did exactly what I wanted it to. On slow inside lines the thing cut very nicely, unlike the old bikes, it went where I steered it. It was super athletic and nimble and very light feeling. Much easier to throw around. The engine rips, it got the bike up to speed in a hurry. I really enjoyed it a lot.

I was a little afraid I was wasting money I didnt have, but the thing is absolutely awesome. If anyone wants to buy an 08 or has questions....