Should I buy this bike?

I am considering purchasing a bike I found on craigslist. The bike in question is a 2002 CR125. It does not run right now. It kicks over but feels to have no or very little compression. The owner states that it needs a top end. I pressed him for more information. He said he melted a piston and it scored the cyinder. He said he put a new piston and ring in it and tried to clean up the cylinder with steel wool or something. It really needs someone who knows what they are doing. The plastics are in good condition. The frame looks ok. It has excel wheels, pro circuit pipe, damaged fold away brake and clutch levers. The radiators look bent but are not leaking. The gears do engage in all positions. Didnt ride of course but did try kicking it with it in gear and it rolls the bike forward in all gears. Brakes look fairly new. Tires are worn maxis ITs. The title and paperwork is good but expired in 2008 green sticker.

Overall the bike looks abused but has some good pieces and potential. The asking price is 600 and he seems pretty firm. I offered him 400 for it but he didnt take it. I am a mechanic so repairing everything correctly shouldnt be a problem for me.

I am figuring on replacing the top end and cylinder. Going through the bottom end and at the very least inspecting bearings and replacing what is needed. I hope going through and greasing the bearings and pivot points will have the bike rideable.

I have other bikes so I am not relying on this bike but it could be fun. Is this going to be too much of a headache for the price or is it priced about right? What are your thoughts.

Yeah I am already considering the cylinder trash. I hope that the new piston he installed is in good shape then I dont have to buy another new one.. The other idea I had was to go with a big bore kit being as the cylinder is probably gonna have to be replaced anyway. I am not rich though so it will probably be put back to stock with a good used cylinder and new piston and ring. Probably be a good idea to put a clutch kit in it while the engine is apart too.

That is the only reason I havnt pulled the trigger on it. I am sure I could put a new top end on it and have it running. The over all condition of the bike is beet down. Granted a good cleaning and detailing may fix that but the broken asv levers and bent up radiators scare me a bit. I did pick up the bike and the wheels didnt have any play in the wheel bearings. I am more worried about the the things that I cant see. If the fork seals start pouring out and I find the bottom end is gone also will probably drive me to part it out.

I offered him 450. he didnt bite. I may offer him up to 500 but if he doesnt bite on that then I am going to pass. I dont really need the bike. I would love to have a 250 2 stroke and I am kinda tired of 125s. I do like the frame design that Honda used in the 2002 and up bikes that is why I liked this bike. I am not sure I want another 125 though. I have had 2 of them before. They are fun but I am kinda wanting something with more brute power. I also would like to have a 2 stroke. I thought if i could fix this bike up I could have some fun and keep it or sell it. But even running they dont sell for much more than 1300. My brother bought his 2002 kx250 for 1300 and it is in cherry condition. To have this one running I will have about a 1000 into it. I will probably pass but if anyone else is interested it is in Bakersfield california Craigslist.