First trail bike

Hi All

Have just joined the forum as I'm looking to buy a road legal enduro bike, mostly for greenlaning but might take it to an MX track sometimes. I'm new to trail riding but have been road riding 10 years and used to road race. I'm 6ft 1 and about 190 lbs.

I'm looking to spend about £2000 and was thinking of something like a 2005 KTM 200 / 250 exc, Honda CRF250X or Yam WR250F.

Any suggestions as to what's best?

Thanks

Larry

How are 2 strokes a hassle for fuel. It takes all but 30 seconds to mix up some gas. Tons of people do it out on the trails and the roads.

Have you considered a Husky? The TE model sounds right up your alley. Street legal enduro bikes that probably wouldn't kill you if you hit up a track here and there for some fun.

No, hadn't considered a Husky but open to the idea. What's availability of spares like compared to Jap or KTMs? What about reliability?

I'm not too bothered about the fuel mix issue - and this is probably outweighed by the ease of getting at the top end and the cost of a re-build if everything goes tits up!

Thanks for the input so far - keep it coming! 🙂

If I may suggest, KTM is The One! There are many reasons, I wouldn't try to lay them out in front of you in this post, there are many valuable, comprehensive and sound posts about KTM in this form. Husky is great, but seems to be more difficult to find parts, maintenance supplies and stuff.

Generally, 2-stroke is great for MX, but for trail riding 4-stroke is ultimately the best.

I think it is hard to get 2-strokes registered for street use in the US.. Actually that can be said for any bike that is MX oriented.

Depends on the state. Michigan = Easy

• 4 months later...

Finally got myself sorted! Ended up with a Husky TE450. 2004 Anniversary Edition. Haven't had much of a chance to ride it yet but it seems like an awesome bit of kit! Ended up plumping for a 450 4T as I might want to stick some SM wheels on it and use it on the road.

Thanks for the advice! Now the real shopping starts... 😛👍:mad: