Maier plastics are sh*t

I got a rear mx fender from Maier as I wanted to mount an acerbis rear light/plate holder. I could tell when I got it out of the box it was going to be a struggle. First - no cut out tabs for the number plates. I tried to make holes but the plastic was so thick the mounting tabs on the number plates would not fit in correctly. I ended up cutting off the tabs. Even with that the mounting holes on the top of the fender were off by about 1/4" and the front mounting was way off. When I tried to mount the number plates were way out of wack and stuck out about 1". No way this could work. A total piece of shit.

Now I have a butchered fender that is not returnable. A $50 lesson.

Anyone make an MX fender that works?

That's the same fender I just put on my bike. When I opened the bag the fender was crap ... the finish was all bumpy & blistery, almost like it was melted. I emailed the seller & he sent me a free replacement no questions asked & told me to keep the first one as a spare. The replacement one was a good one ... good fit & finish.

XRsonly lists the Maier MX rear fender as $60.41, I find it shocking for that price it wouldn't fit well. Have had my eye on it for sometime. I think my '87 had one on it and liked it, was put on by the PO. The Acerbis appears to be around $55.00 on E-bay. From my searches in the past not many people seem to use them. If someone has I wouldn't mind hearing as to your opinion. Polisport seems nice (nice price! $30.00) and have heard good things but doesn't it only come in white and black? ? Could be wrong, would like red. One more thing, I believe I have seen someone just modify a crf or cr rear fender on TT before. ? There was a gap behind the seat but they put a fender bag there to cover it up and had to do some modifications by way of cutting and piecing. I may just try that route one day. I could probably get a donated fender from one of the local racers and experiment.

Edited by kmulwee

I'm not necessarily advocating the use of Maier plastics, but I like mine. And it fits perfectly on my 250!? The lack of extra holes for mounting to the rear bracket wasn't anything a drill didn't fix in 60 seconds. Anyway, I purchased straight from the manufacturer rather than from XRsOnly.

http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/190

I'm going riding tomorrow so I'll try to remember to snap a few closeups of the rear fender to post here. Personally, I disagree 100% with the title of this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay.

The 4th photo shows where I had to drill for mounting to the bracket seen in photo #3.

Once again, I'm not a Maier fanboy. I just don't think there's anything wrong with the product I received & I have no complaints.

1001781d.th.jpg 1001780s.th.jpg 1001782.th.jpg 1001778h.th.jpg 1001784c.th.jpg