I think I broke my XR500R? HELP!

So my supertrapp muffler fell apart while ridein and I had to gather it while dodging traffic. Went home and put the muffler back together. Did not want it coming apart so got it together nice and tight! Well, I started it and it was much quieter. Drove around the block and it was running sweet. Then I got in the throttle. I heard "CRACK CRACK CRACK" coming out of the front of the motor. I let off and it continued to run fine. I tryed it once more. "CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK". OH NO! I thought. So I drove slowly back home. Just as I got to the driveway it died. So I tryed to restart it- There is absolutely not compression! NONE! What have I done????????🙂

I am real sure that I did not loose anything down the exhaust pipe. But you never know. I have pulled the motor (6 hours) and it is sitting on my work bench. (little scary as I have never worked on or pull any kind of motor before). Next step = pull the valve cover. Thank goodness for shop manuals. Expensive! But really walks you step by step....

Try hitting a solid area on the head with a rubber mallet to get it to break free. Or lightly pry on a solid spot. Keep workin it, it will break free.......One question, why did you pull the entire engine before you even know what's wrong with it? I mean, what if it's something as simple as an exhaust leak at the header gasket? Even if it's a burnt valve or something like that, there's no need to pull the engine from the frame. You wasted 6 hours for nothing in my opinion.

..<snip>... You wasted 6 hours for nothing in my opinion.

not at all. If it's taken 6 hours then it's a sign he's new to this. That's how you learn. It'll be faster next time! good luck...

Why did I pull the motor? #1 Because I do not know what I am doing (which was stated in my posting that I have not ever worked on a bike before) #2 The sound coming out of the motor was the kind of sound that scares you to the bone. The kind of sound your hear and all you see is dollar signs.... #3 Total lack of compression when attempting to kick start. It's just all bad man!

Thanks for the rubber mallet tip!

Edited by deangleason
addition

Sorry it took so long - Here is the update-- So- as I had posted, the motor was sitting on the workbench. I was in the process of pulling the valve cover off when my neighbor came into the garage and asked me what the heck I was doing! I told him the story. As the cover came off, and I was expecting to see a broken spring or a stuck/bent valve. He was telling me about a guy "Ben" that he knows. Ben has been riding Hondas for several years and would know what was wrong with the bike. Well, the springs were in perfect condition and I did not see anything that was bent and as I worked the kick lever everything was moving- nothing stuck. So, I told him to call Ben. Ben came over and he asked me what the spark plug looked like before I pulled the motor. I told him that I did not check the spark plug before I pulled the motor. Then Ben asked if I had checked to see if it was getting gas before I pulled the motor. I told him I did not check that either. Ben said that he would be happy to help me trouble shoot the motor after it was back in the bike. "No Problem!" I told Ben. The bike will be together by 0800. So we drank a beer or two, Ben left and I got the bike back together. So Ben comes over the next day and we check spark. -No spark. So we take off the round thing on the left hand side of the motor. I forget what he called it. To see if it was broken. It was not. Ben told me that electric problems are a real pain and he knows a guy that has been a Honda mech. for over 20 years. Ben calls him. I take my bike over there and he trouble shoots it. Well, I criss-crossed two wires when I was putting the bike back together and he finds the problem. But- bike will still not run even with spark. So- he told me to leave the bike there and he will check the timing on the bike. He thinks that the timing chain may have "skipped" a tooth and that is why I am not getting any compression. So- here I am- 2 days later.

So- the quick version - Motor has been out of the bike- valve clearance checked, springs checked, and everything moving and not bent- motor back into the bike- has spark and gas the compression release is not stuck- I forced compressed air through the tail pipe before reinstallation and the air flow did not seem to be an issue. I am going to call to see if the bike is in "time" when I leave work tonight. I hope that the bike is just out of adjustment! I will post tomorrow and let you know what he tells me...

Sounds to me like you just want to slow down a lot. If there's a "round thing on the left hand side of the motor" that you don't know the name of yet, you're probably not ready to start wrenching on it! It doesn't have to be that hard, but it's really important to be methodical. Jumping from one guess to another will make troubleshooting essentially a random process. So your first step should be to find out in more detail what is working and what isn't. Checking spark & fuel are the traditional first steps! Sometimes it's obvious (like no spark) and sometimes more subtle - for example, the spark may not be adequate under load. But you always want to check the easy things first and follow up any signs of trouble to make sure you can explain what you're seeing. There's a lot of how-to on this site and elsewhere. There are parts diagrams on the web, too. Just be patient and thorough!

Or you can just let Ben fix it.

That really would suck. But if he doesn't have compression I would bet my bike that it isn't carbs. Haha. Timing sounds like it is likely at this point but doesn't explain why it happened when he put the exhaust back on. I like the sound of something falling into the exhaust. Well not like the sound but it sounds more likely to me.

Hope you figure it out buddy, it is probably worrying ya sick. Just sit back and relax and realize that it will work out. You could always use this as an excuse to buy another bike and have two. You know just in case the other breaks again 🙂

Wish I had $800 sittin around- I would by another XR500R. Its a blast to ride. But I knew from the get go that buying an 83 would mean that I would get to know the bike inside and out. Well, I am on my way! Stressful - a little. But I love turning wrenches! I knew better than to pull the motor but I really wanted to do it! I have learned a bunch in the last 72 hours. I know that I will be learning a bunch more.....

• 1 month later...

So I got the valves head off and as I lifed it off the jug a pin come rolling out! The sound was coming from a 4mm x 0.4 mm pin that was bent and chewed up... dont know where it came from - but it was there. Thank goodness that it did not wreck my valves or the cylender head.... it did strip out 2 bolts that hold the head onto the jug. SO- my next question is do I spend the money on buying a new jug, do i helicoil the stripped out bolts, or do I re tap the jug to accomadate a lager bolt to hold the valve head on??????

So I got the valves head off and as I lifed it off the jug a pin come rolling out! The sound was coming from a 4mm x 0.4 mm pin that was bent and chewed up... dont know where it came from - but it was there. Thank goodness that it did not wreck my valves or the cylender head.... it did strip out 2 bolts that hold the head onto the jug. SO- my next question is do I spend the money on buying a new jug, do i helicoil the stripped out bolts, or do I re tap the jug to accomadate a lager bolt to hold the valve head on??????

Helicoils work nice, but here's a link to some info about threaded metal inserts...

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8777917&postcount=7

Just something else to think about if you're not comfortable with helicoils.

Perc

and don't forget to work out where this little pin came from..Metal pins are not a standard feature of a bore. May pay to stick a picture of it up so someone can attempt to figure out where it came from.