Debating .. keeping my 08 with TONS of mods or New CRF

Well I have been debating for a while now ... do I keep the "old horse" (08 CRF450R) that I have sunk thousands of dollars into ... OR ... is it time to put it out to pasture and buy a new '11 CRF450R ???

I don't want to debate the merits of the 08 Vs the newer models, I am just wondering what others would do in the same situation.

Do many feel that the new CRF is that much more advanced and better that its worth starting all over from scratch "customizing" it to my tastes, or just keep the 2008 model, and sink some maintenance money into it during the winter (like I do EVERY year anyway).

My bike has almost every mod available, and it has taken me over 2 years to get the setup I want. It runs perfect, everything is tight, suspension is incredible (rebuilt by FC every year) and has no issues at all.🙂

So I am debating next year whether to sink "the usual" money into the 08 CRF (new bearings, rebuilt suspension, clutch, head perhaps), and maybe even customize it some more engine wise (wide ratio gearing), or sell it and start all over with a 2011 model (depending on what it looks like). The problem is that a LOT of my mods don't transfer over ...🤣

Keep the 08 or buy the 10/11?? The engine has 150 hours on it, but its highly maintained. My buddy says it has an aircraft maintenance policy.:banana: Its used 100% for woods (and has the usual woods mods .. rekluse, flywheel ,etc.)

Thoughts ??? Would be helpful to hear from those who have owned 08's and made the switch to the newer model. Would you do it again?? Is it worth the THOUSANDS of dollars to do.

** With the LOVELY new taxes where I live in Canada ... a new CRF450 will end up being almost $9200 ... that's just the price of the bike. Now is the "lovely" part ... add 13% tax to that PLUS PDI and other cash grabs ... and the taxes and dealership invoicing ON TOP of the price of the bike will be almost $2000. For 2G .. I can do a lot of "maintenance" and upkeep on the 08 CRF.

Is it time to put the 08 out to pasture and start customizing an 11 over the winter??🤣

P1010418.jpg

Edited by supervokes
spelling

I'm in the same boat with my 07 450 but I don't like our Honda dealer so I wont be buying a Honda if I decide to part with my bike. I'm not 100% sure that the new 450 is as well built internally as these bikes are I meen I have beat the shit out of this bike and it still runs great, all I've had to replace other than the mods I did originaly was I put on a ported head and a power bomb header.i love this bike and I don't think that I'll find the same love with a new honda.edit3.jpg

I'm in the same boat with my 07 450 but I don't like our Honda dealer so I wont be buying a Honda if I decide to part with my bike. I'm not 100% sure that the new 450 is as well built internally as these bikes are I meen I have beat the shit out of this bike and it still runs great, all I've had to replace other than the mods I did originaly was I put on a ported head and a power bomb header.i love this bike and I don't think that I'll find the same love with a new honda.edit3.jpg

Thing is nice!

Thanks all ....

Looks like I'll keep it another year (at least) ... this is my third season. It has held up amazingly well, and feels as good as the day I bought it (no signs of getting tired).

Will sink some money into refurbing as "close" to new as I can this winter. I am proactive in changing things before they break ... usually don't wait until they need attention or wear out (ie new bearings every year). Figure for the money I'll spend in taxes on a new bike, I'll be able to keep the existing one feeling new.

Still wait to see what the '11 450R has to offer, and did not want to pose the question in the KTM forum :banana:... as I am sure it would be 100% unanimous to change from Honda to KTM (was also considering the new 350 model).

Will start a post towards winter on what items I plan on replacing and get peoples thoughts on a few others. Until then ... I'll ride the crap out of it yet at the same time maintain it. 🙂

• 3 years later...

08 was the best crf450 made till the 2013 dropped.  If you want to upgrade get a 13 or newer the 09-11 are not worth owning IMO the chassis is crap, suspension is out to lunch, way less power than the 2008

Keep the 08

I agree, I have ridden a few 09-11 and wasnt all that impressed, I have heard the 13-14 is good stuff.  I am scared of the air forks!  I know a couple guys with them and have had problems and have caused a couple of failed rides because of it, no air, no ride!  

On my 08 I could blow my seals, loose half my oil and still be haulin!