XL250R Dual Carb Issues

I have an 87 Honda XL250R with the dual carb. For the life of me i cannot get this carb dialed in. The engine is running super rich. All jets are at stock size. In the manual I have, it says that the float height is 18 mm. I have them both right at that. I have even tried adjusting the air screw. Nothing. When the second carb goes to kick on, it bogs for about half a second and then takes off. But when you let off the throttle, the RPM stays high for about 5 or 6 seconds. If I just ride it and not let that second carb kick on, its fine. Was hoping that there is someone out there who has experience with this dual carb setup. Any help is appreciated

Are you loading up/fouling plugs?

start by checking airbox and filter for restrictions, old foam tends to deteriorate,

also check compression and ignition timing,

air leaks in the boots from carbs to heads can cause odd problems,

finally, the needle jets/ jet needles can wear if dirt had gotten past the air filter over the years

I could not get online at service honda to look at the carbs

But if they are like the older 600s, the 2nd carb is only just for a main jet. is it vaccum operated or linkage? If it has a vaccum diagphram, you probably have a leak there or sticky slide.

you should have a fuel screw also, not an air screw on a 4 stroke.

Other suggestions from CCP243 are good ones to.