How accurate are mri's?

Just as the title states how accurate are they? My wife has Multiple Sclerosis so her doc always states closed are more accurate than open. I just had another done on my knee with the results not going along with the injury.

An MRI of the multiply operated knee is just above worthless. An open MRI or one with less than 1.5 Tesla magnet is also just above worthless. If its done on a workman's comp deal it is below worthless.

I have no idea about accuracy in MS. Its pretty obvious so the highest quality scan may not be necessary.

• 2 months later...

The amount of signal given off by your body increases directly in proportion to the field strength of the magnet. More signal equals a better image basically.

We have a 3T Siemens Verio machine at our practice for neuro work and a 1.5T GE Horizon LX workhorse for everything else. For neuro and spine work, the 3T is the way to go if available, although a 1.5T won't miss anything either. As for opens, well....they are a dinosaur by todays standards. I hate them. The best opens in my opinion are the popular .35T Hitachi Airis II (The best open MRI out there). Stick with the 1.5T or 3T for neuro work.

MS needs a FLAIR sequence, usually in the sagittal plane, to best view MS plaques. An active MS condition might also show a positive on a diffusion scan which is used for stroke. MS plaques can also enhance after contrast (Gadolinium) as well. Either way, 1.5 or 3T, you can't go wrong. 3T's are not out in great numbers yet due to the cost and the lack of implant testing and SAR issues (tissue heating) that are associated with them. A 1.5T is fine and is the bulk of what you will see at most sites. Good luck!

The amount of signal given off by your body increases directly in proportion to the field strength of the magnet. More signal equals a better image basically.

We have a 3T Siemens Verio machine at our practice for neuro work and a 1.5T GE Horizon LX workhorse for everything else. For neuro and spine work, the 3T is the way to go if available, although a 1.5T won't miss anything either. As for opens, well....they are a dinosaur by todays standards. I hate them. The best opens in my opinion are the popular .35T Hitachi Airis II (The best open MRI out there). Stick with the 1.5T or 3T for neuro work.

MS needs a FLAIR sequence, usually in the sagittal plane, to best view MS plaques. An active MS condition might also show a positive on a diffusion scan which is used for stroke. MS plaques can also enhance after contrast (Gadolinium) as well. Either way, 1.5 or 3T, you can't go wrong. 3T's are not out in great numbers yet due to the cost and the lack of implant testing and SAR issues (tissue heating) that are associated with them. A 1.5T is fine and is the bulk of what you will see at most sites. Good luck!

Nerd. ­čśĆ