No spark

Had the BRP out the other day and it started to spit and sputter as if it were out of gas. Flipped it to reserve and headed to the gas station, once I was full the durn thing wouldn't start backup. Just got into it and as I had guessed...no spark. Held a fresh plug up against anything I could find that was metal and no matter what no spark when I kicked it. Took the tank off and everything is looking fairly good...nothing unusual... Any suggestions?

It's a new RS re-wrapped stator with a baja design Dual Sport kit. The hiccup while riding it is something I haven't seen anyone else list as a symptom while searching so I thought I'd start a fresh thread. Thanks for the help.

2001 XR650R

nearly completely stock

de-smogged

100W RS Stator

Baja Design Kit

Start simple. Do the "wiggle test" on all the connections and make sure the kill switch is working correctly. If none of that helps, get out the multimeter and start checking the exciter coil, pulse generator, CDI, coil, etc.

Ok, upon second inspection all the connections are good, the switch doesn't seem to have any defects or breaks. The lights turn on, horn beeps, turns do their job...just no spark. I'm thinking it's a coil but I haven't a multi meter to test it. Thanks Head for the advice...are there any other lurkers with some input?

Thanks.

Ok, upon second inspection all the connections are good, the switch doesn't seem to have any defects or breaks. The lights turn on, horn beeps, turns do their job...just no spark. I'm thinking it's a coil but I haven't a multi meter to test it. Thanks Head for the advice...are there any other lurkers with some input?

Thanks.

I don`t know much about the "R" .......but the XRL is known for CDI problems,i repair them,not sure the "R" has this problem though,,

B

i found that the ground wire on my coil was broken and touching just enough when sitting that it would run, but when i started speeding up the wind moved it and it would cut in and out. probably not the issue here, but something to think about. have you done anything recently to it other than put gas in it and ride? any new mods?

i found that the ground wire on my coil was broken and touching just enough when sitting that it would run, but when i started speeding up the wind moved it and it would cut in and out. probably not the issue here, but something to think about. have you done anything recently to it other than put gas in it and ride? any new mods?

No new mods since the new re-wound stator...that was several months and miles ago

Still not fixed. I borrowed a Coil from my brothers XRL just to see if it would spark and it wouldn't. Granted it's a totally different coil and plug than my R but I thought maybe it'd still throw a little spark when grounded to the header. Am I wrong? any way I can start testing the components seperately that way to isolate them? I want to avoid a $70/hr shop as much as possible.

Sorry to hear about your woes.

Tell you what though if you're interested you can send me a deposit and I'll send you an entire ignition system (CDI, coil/plug wire, rectifier) to troubleshoot with. Once you find your problem buy the part off me or send everything back and I'll refund your deposit less $30 + the cost to ship. We'll call it a rental fee.

The deposit would be the market value of the parts I send ($140). I could send you a stator for an additional $80.

Let me know if you'd want to.

Otherwise it sounds like you're gonna have to do as HeadTrauma suggested and starting checking all the outputs. I know it seems like a complicated task but I think once you start working on it you'll find it's not such a headache after all.

Decided to pull the cover and check out the stator to see if there was anything fishy in there and to my surprise....WATER!!

­čśĆ:smirk:

Swapped for the stock stator and still no spark. I think i'm gonna find a pro to check this thing out..that is unless someone is in the market for another BRP:banghead:

bump.gif

So I pulled the Ricky Stator and installed the stock stator after a few smacks of the CDI for good measure

SPARK!

So I thought, I would clean up the Ricky Stator and see if that would help me out with spark, no.

So I get intermitant spark on the stock stator and no spark on the Ricky Stator.

If I clean up all visible dirt, grime, and corosion from the Ricky Stator should it be in working order? I took apart the little do jobber that is off to the side of the stator and cleaned it all up (what is that called?) anything else besides broken wires and casings that i should be looking for?

I have just got my bike going again after it lost spark suddenly. It turned out the stator needed replacing but the main problem was the pulse generator. I ended up replacing everything including the spark plug cap. Some things like the stator and coil can cause weak spark for a long time before you notice it. I should add that with intermittent faults you need to just replace any suspicious component despite what reading you get by following the normal diagnostics. Good luck and please let us all know how you go with this problem.

one of the best I've seen on a forum.......especialy for electronic parts.­čśĆ

Sorry to hear about your woes.

Tell you what though if you're interested you can send me a deposit and I'll send you an entire ignition system (CDI, coil/plug wire, rectifier) to troubleshoot with. Once you find your problem buy the part off me or send everything back and I'll refund your deposit less $30 + the cost to ship. We'll call it a rental fee.

The deposit would be the market value of the parts I send ($140). I could send you a stator for an additional $80.

Let me know if you'd want to.

Otherwise it sounds like you're gonna have to do as HeadTrauma suggested and starting checking all the outputs. I know it seems like a complicated task but I think once you start working on it you'll find it's not such a headache after all.

• 1 month later...

had a mechanic run an ohms meter on the RS and it looks like the pulse circuit shorted out on the actual stator...probably about $100 to rewind it he thought? Really? Checking with RS to see if there is anything they are willing to help me out with, but i'm not holding my breath.

Any problems with our parts let us know and we will take care of it.

cool, yah i've got an email into Mike but just figured you guys didn't warrenty elec components, like most other autoparts places.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

New CDI and a verified to be good stator still equals no spark. Gonna call the mechanic tomorrow morn and make sure he tested the coil for faults and then think about purchasing a for sale sign.

did you buy a $20 multimeter yet? did all the components check out? Are you sure the kill switch is not shorted? With a new cdi, and a coil that checks out, the kill switch is about the only think that will keep it from running. Are there any safety switches on it?

I figured it out. No I don't own a multimeter but i have one on loan from a friend. The coil works a whole lot better when I actually hook it up instead of simply mounting it and hoping for the best....:bonk:

The bike is running rough though (at least it's running) is this just because the bike hasn't been ran in several weeks and has had no gas through the carb? Or could I have screwed up timing somewhere while putting on and pulling off stators a dozen times.

I figured it out. No I don't own a multimeter but i have one on loan from a friend. The coil works a whole lot better when I actually hook it up instead of simply mounting it and hoping for the best....:bonk:.

:foul: and I thought I was the only one to ever wonder why it didn't work, unpluged, fuel off, etc.

If the gas is old, been sitting around that could cause is to run crappy, but I would think that once it warmed up it should be ok. Is it a rough idle, missing, or something else? Your timing is controlled by the pulse coil and CDI. Replace the fuel with fresh and try it.

fuel is all fresh, i removed it all from the tank when I pulled the bike apart and dumped it in the tractor. I've added fresh fuel and a little seafoam gas treatment thinking it would un-gum anything that may have been gummed. it's sputtering on idle and if I give it any throttle it wants to die. I'm thinking it's a carb issue maybe?