Hot temperature riding

Good day all,

I was wondering if there is any concern about riding the DR650 on slow, wooded single track in 90-100F temps? Since not much air is getting to the oil cooler. I know a lot of people use this bike in Baja, Aussie land, etc, so I'm thinking no? Thanks in advance.

I regularly ride the tight 'n twisted trails around the hills here in central AZ where the ambient high temp averages 105-110*f this time of year without any problems from overheating.

My DR250 doesn't even have an oil cooler. And I ride the hell out of that thing too. Even chugging through deep sand in the washes around here doesn't seem to be a problem for either one.

So I'd say it won't be a problem at all.🙂

It sure is nice to break into the occasional short straightaway to cool yourself off though!

[edit] I keep all my bikes running a hair on the rich side to help with the cooling issue.

Thanks for the input. I didn't think it would be a problem, but wanted to ask. I've read that running rich can help cool the bike, but not sure how that works. Do you?

[quote name=BugsInMyTeeth

[edit] I keep all my bikes running a hair on the rich side to help with the cooling issue.

I think it is the gas its self. the gas vapor entering the cylinder is cooler than the air in the cylinder so the more gas you have in the air/fuel ratio the more it cools

I Think please correct me if I am wrong

I issue a challenge to anyone that can successfully overheat their DR650. Short of wrapping the engine in thermal padding and holding it pinned at the rev limitter without any oil in it, I doubt it'll happen

No idea why anyone bothers to use a temp sensor on this bike:excuseme:

Good day all,

I was wondering if there is any concern about riding the DR650 on slow, wooded single track in 90-100F temps? Since not much air is getting to the oil cooler. I know a lot of people use this bike in Baja, Aussie land, etc, so I'm thinking no? Thanks in advance.

I live in Darwin, Top End of OZ. It has always been a concern of mine, so have a vapor on order. I will be able to monitor engine Temps then. Keep you posted

• 1 month later...

I run the vapor with the temp on the spare oil plug (qwerty - you mount it cause it's there that's why) can't say I run much for tight stuff in the heat, but you can only get the oil up to 220F on the road, not matter how hot it is or how hard you run it, trust me your right calf will be well done before the motor overheats. In reality I have way more issues with cold oil temps, that is the main use of the sensor for me

I run the vapor with the temp on the spare oil plug (qwerty - you mount it cause it's there that's why) can't say I run much for tight stuff in the heat, but you can only get the oil up to 220F on the road, not matter how hot it is or how hard you run it, trust me your right calf will be well done before the motor overheats. In reality I have way more issues with cold oil temps, that is the main use of the sensor for me

you could try covering the oil cooler during warm up and/or riding like truckers cover the radiator in diesels on cold days.

My only recommendation would be to go with synthetic oil. Much better performance/protection in super hot weather. This is proven and documented.

I use Mobil One car oil. (buy at Wal-Mart in five liter jug - CHEAP) Buy the extended or high mileage version. This has no friction modifiers so clutch is not affected. I'm at 33,000, about 22K of that with Mobil One. YMMV.

Yes, fully synthetic, not a blend. At least thats what Mobil claims. It may not be quite as good as something like a full Ester syn like Motul or Red Line, but its worked absolutely great in my DR.

Even in 118F Death Valley heat the motor was quiet and smooth sounding. (I stopped and listened after riding for four hours in that heat) 33K on this DR650.

Dozens of "Oil Experts" have warned me against using full synthetic oil in the several bikes I've used them in ... but they don't live next door to a Chevron Oil chemist. I could have him explain how this works but you'd fall asleep for sure.

His main comment is: "... good product."

I've used the Mobil One "extended" or "high mileage" car oil in the following bikes: DL1000 (two), '05 DR650 (sold), XR250 (sold) DRZ400E (sold), Yam WR250F, Tiger 1050 and my current '06 DR650.

Oil arguements are stupid. Use what works for you. Change it every 500 miles if you like wasting resources. :banana: I change my DR oil every 4 or 5000 miles. YMMV.

It'll run just fine no matter what your air temperature is along as you have some airflow. As far as running it richer, it is true a slightly richer fuel mixture will help cool the engine. However, you can go to rich. In that case you get unburned fuel washing down the cylinder walls taking the oil film with it. This contaminates your oil and reduces its lubricity which will then cause the engine to heat up as metal begins to contact metal.