DR650 Motard Wheel

Hi Guys, I'm a newby to this forum so be gentle with me. I hope I'm not asking a question that been answered a million times. I want to be able to run motard wheels as well as off-road wheels on my DR650SE. Currently fitting a DRZ400E front to this bike (forks/triple tree etc) and have ordered a 320mm front disc rotor (for the off-road wheel) and caliper extender. Hoping this will allow me to swap between wheel types.

My question is will a rear DRZ400SM wheel bolt straight on to a DR650 and will a DRZ400SM front wheel bolt up to a DRZ400S (remembering upside down verses conventional forks).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Guys, I'm a newby to this forum so be gentle with me. I hope I'm not asking a question that been answered a million times. I want to be able to run motard wheels as well as off-road wheels on my DR650SE. Currently fitting a DRZ400E front to this bike (forks/triple tree etc) and have ordered a 320mm front disc rotor (for the off-road wheel) and caliper extender. Hoping this will allow me to swap between wheel types.

My question is will a rear DRZ400SM wheel bolt straight on to a DR650 and will a DRZ400SM front wheel bolt up to a DRZ400S (remembering upside down verses conventional forks).

Thanks in advance for your help.

I ride a DR650 too and I am pretty sure the axle sizes are different between the models you listed...so the wheels may fit with bearing changes, but you may need some sort of spacer replacements... hope that helped...

I too have a complete DRZ SM front end to stick into my 1990 DR650, but I havent had the time to do it yet!

Both front & rear axles are totally different, so the DR wheels will not be a direct swap, I went to my local bearing supplier thinking I'll change my 650 wheel bearings to fit the DRZ axle, but there isnt a compatable bearing available! I've also got a set of DRZ SM wheels, so I can just drop the 17inch into the USD forks, but I'm probably going to get the rear rim laced to my own hub. If you wanted to be able to run dirt wheels as well, I'd suggest getting a DRZ E front wheel And fitting a 320 disc to it, then use another DR650 rear wheel

Yes, I'm 99% sure the SM wheel will bolt into the S forks (check the part numbers for the bearings)- ALPHA SPORTS MICROFISCHES But no, the rears require much more work to fit.

The 17" front SM wheel is a direct bolt on to the E forks. Front hubs and spacers are universal across the DR-Z400 line. The only thing you need to address is the brake. Either run the E rotor on the SM wheels or pick up a 320mm brake kit (includes 320mm rotor and caliper relocation bracket) for the E/S fork legs. I don't think there is any way to run the factory 310mm SM rotor without fabbing your own relocation bracket.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, Thanks for great advice. Looks like 320mm disc would be too much off road and I hadnt considered how close to the ground it would be. Looks like a DZR rear wheel wont fit the DR650 and DRZ S or E front wheels will interchange. Question Answered. Cheers.