Crest trail closure @ marshall pass ***!?!?!?!

To anyone riding the crest (CDNST) from agate creek trail south is in for a big suprise. The road going north from marshall pass is closed. period. No moto's, no MTB's, no jeeps. We're all VERY confused, GMUG's final TMP just declared it still open to moto's, but there is a giant mud hole 150' from the marshall pass road. So that tiny section is CLOSED with no alternative route. To everyone !?!?!?! I very much doubt that MTB's are turning around when they see the signs. I bet that 150 of them a day go right thru it.

Feel free to call the Salida Ranger District @ 719-539-3591

Please don't yell at them, just express your concern for this issue.

Edited by tlehmann

We rode the Crest up from agate creek yesterday. We turned up towards monarch pass and hit a cornice 3-4 miles from the end. I would imagine that the barrier at Marshall pass is to keep dirt bikes from going all the way up and having to turn around. We mt biked it from Monarch pass the day before, and there are no signs up there, and the shuttles are running.

I have not had a chance to call the rangers today because I was out riding near Breckenridge. At the top of Georgia Pass (Tr 355) there is a giant mud hole and a sign that the trail is closed and a note to contact the Dillon Ranger District for updates 970-468-5400.

Edited by pablo83

I just spoke to the Dillon Ranger office. They said that water had begun seeping up through the road and was creating a big mud hole. She said it would take 3-4 days to repair after the initial "few weeks" wait for the White River Road Crew to be available.

Edited by pablo83

I tried calling the Salida Ranger District @ 719-539-3951 and got a busy signal. It turns out that number is not right. The correct number is (719) 539-3591. I eventually spoke to Chris Welker who said there is a crew up there repairing the irrigation canal, which blew out recently, just on the other side of the divide. He wonders if that has anything to do with the closure. He is supposed to call me back.

Edited by pablo83

Chris called back. I wan't sure exactly what he was referring to until I looked at a map. Crest is not closed, but 243G is which is the only way to access Crest on the south side. So if you call the ranger district about the closure, talk to them about 243G, no Crest. This will avoid a lot of confusion. Chris has no idea when it will be fixed. He says most of their resources are going to fixing Hancock road.