is it crazy to put a xr650l in the woods

i have a KLX 650R, similar to xr650L, weight wise. i am usually made fun of for riding a big pig on fairly technical singletrack, but it is what i have and usually i am stubborn enough to prove people wrong. that being said, i have changed some things to make it better for where i ride, narrow, taller bars made a huge difference for quick handling. gearing it awfully low (13-52) sure helps it climb most things, one hell of a skid plate, barkbusters and good tires. I have a D606 rear and MT21 front. that being said, i just rode some very difficult singletrack today that handed my ass to me, and i was on a Beta 525RR and i was basically still humiliated. If i had been on my klX i would still be there, alive or dead, from exhaustion!it was that tight, steep, narrow, gnarly terrain. It was brutally awesome, but i don't know if i will be able to walk tomorrow!🙂

Think Scott Summers... GNCC... XR600! Now, I am no Scott Summers, but I have raced my XR650L in 3 South Jersey enduros. Yeah, its big, but its fun. I'm not out to win any championships, and thats what I had.

BTW, +1 on the narrow bars, and remove anything you don't need.

Have fun!

• Like 2

Some folks can not afford the exact tool sometimes....improvise,adapt and over-come!!!!!;it's the American WAY!. Not a thing wrong/crazy with your choice...especially since your a big guy(per you).:banana:🙂

no defiantly not ragging the guys bike i wouldn't mind having one to dual sport for long trips but i couldn't imagine me riding it in the woods just seems big but then again i think the drz is a pig for the woods,but on the tarmac it isnt a bad choice

With woods riding, you're going to drop your bike at some point. And you're likely to lay your bike down when you're one on the side of a steep slope between big rocks and trees when you're the most tired.

If you can pick up you bike after dropping it, then you can ride it in the woods. There are times I can barely pick up my XR250R in the woods. I don't think I could pick up an XR650R on flat ground, let alone in the woods.

If you can pick up your bike when you need to, then you can ride in the woods. Otherwise, it's just not going to be much fun getting stuck.

With woods riding, you're going to drop your bike at some point. And you're likely to lay your bike down when you're one on the side of a steep slope between big rocks and trees when you're the most tired.

If you can pick up you bike after dropping it, then you can ride it in the woods. There are times I can barely pick up my XR250R in the woods. I don't think I could pick up an XR650R on flat ground, let alone in the woods.

If you can pick up your bike when you need to, then you can ride in the woods. Otherwise, it's just not going to be much fun getting stuck.

This is a good idea to ride with plenty of buddies. I know from experience, sometimes you will need help picking up a 650L in rough spots. It was a heck of a lot better than riding the couch all day instead. Get out there and ride, (aggressive off road tires will help a lot though- world of difference).

• 3 years later...

Think Scott Summers... GNCC... XR600! Now, I am no Scott Summers, but I have raced my XR650L in 3 South Jersey enduros. Yeah, its big, but its fun. I'm not out to win any championships, and thats what I had.

BTW, +1 on the narrow bars, and remove anything you don't need.

Have fun!

Yup, 5 titles. 91.92.93. 96,97

Edited by SMarquez
  • Like 1

I had one before I had a truck to transport my bike. rode 60 miles in the street to all types of nasty trails. their good d/s bikes, cuz their decent on the road as well. having said that their to heavy, even a DRZ 400s feels like a 125 compared to it. if you like the 650 you would like a xr600 even more. its a different bike, its much better in the woods.