Sign in to follow this  

Broken Chain Guard

Going over my 2007 DR650 for a pre-ride inspection , I noticed my chain guard was askew ( effed up ) . Upon closer inspection , the front tab was broken . Not the plastic , but the aluminum tab the bolt screws into on the swing-arm ! A little JB Weld later and viola ! , the tab was " welded " back in place ( after curing for 12 hours ) and the chain guard was reinstalled . Is this a common Problem ?

Ive heard of a couple others failing in the same place. Doesn't seem common, but its happened before.

My chain guard broke also but not where yours did. The plastic split at the front, on the top and for about 5 inches toward the rear.

Of course, it probably didnt help having my overstuffed saddle bags hitting it for 2,000 miles on a road trip. (and I didnt use even half the stuff I brought, guess thats the always ready Boy Scout theory)

Anybody else have this problem?

Chain guard??? whats that??....dont need no stinkin chain guard. :smirk:

Mine broke off many thousands of miles ago and dont see any reason to replace it but still got the tabs to mount one.

The plastic on mine broke on the front as well. Mine is lowered, and maybe that has something to do with it. I riveted some thin metal as a repair. very Mad Max.

Chain guard, disc gurard, and chain guides are all potential fails if the tab they bolt to is only welded on one side, like most. A lot of those tabs are L shaped and only welded on one end which just puts leverage on the welded area when they are struck by something. Will mostly happen with aluminum because the tab won't bend like it would if it was a steel tab welded to a steel swingarm.

Best thing would be to have it welded back on and maybe welded on the other side too. Or, it may be a good thing they break at the weld instead of trashing something else? Your call.

IMO, you don't need that chain guard anyway unless you carry a passenger often. It may keep thier feet from bumping the chain. Just something else to get plugged with mud and debris or broken.

My friends DR has a chainguard tab broken off and thus no chain guard. I'm not worried about putting it back on, it will just get broke again. My XRL lost the tabs that hold the disc guard a long time ago because I used aftermarket aluminum guard to replace a broken platsic one. One good hit and the tabs went, but the guard was still good. Just ran without a guard from there on out because I figured anything hit hard enough to smash a rear disc is going to leave me hurting anyway and possibly break something else on the bike when I crashd from hitting something that hard.

I noticed one day that mine just up and dissapeared like a fart in the wind, aluminum tabs are there but no sign of chaingaurd, screws, nothing. :smirk:

Maybe another DR'er stole it to replace their broken one?

bike is never outta my sight, must have just rattled out...

bike is never outta my sight, must have just rattled out...

:smirk: Yeah, I'm a sneaky little f'r...thanks for the chain guard!

:smirk: Yeah, I'm a sneaky little f'r...thanks for the chain guard!
:smirk:

chain guard or chain guide...my chain guide just split big time...procycle or jesse