Ride report-Tin Cup and Evart

Just got back from hitting the loops at Tin Cup and Evart and thought I'd pass on what they were like- First Tin Cup. After many years I finally hit this trail, always heard it was great. Not today! Of course there was dust, expected, but the rest of the trail was whooped out bad (worse than Higgens loop)! A few riders in the lot said there was a race there a few weeks ago. Guess that would explain it. Heard some stories of Cops nailng people for anything but we didn't have any trouble. May be better in the spring or after a hard rain. Never got into a groove, won't go back.

Evart, been on this many times over the past 10 years but not in the past 4 or 5. Used to be a 5 (hardest) rated trail. I'd give it a 6.5 now:ride: Lots more rocks (& roots) than I remeber, erosion I figure and 3 foot deep whoops in some places. Not all that ejoyable but a great challenge. My riding buddies pooped out on me and I bet they won't go back but I will. Just stuborn I guess.

Still a great day when you can ride though! Just thought I'd let anyone that was thinking of these loops know what I came across.

My kids and I really enjoy Tin Cup. When it's just my son and me we're on our bikes (no quad), so we mix up some single track along with the jeep trail. My son loves to go fast on the jeep trail, and I have fun doing that too - that's not something you can find on all the trails and it's nice because it isn't so whooped out. Of course you just aren't going to get away from sand here in Michigan, but overall I would say that Tin Cup is a really good setup and we've made it our place to go many times.

Rode Evart not long ago with Nuudle8...we had a good time but it did have some serious whoops though. There is a neat section called the sugarbowl - a big open area with lots of hills to run up and down on. Evart is a little bit unique in that it has rocks - I have a new respect for rocky uphills after riding them!

No place is perfect to ride, but Evart and Tin Cup are some of the closest trails to the Grand Rapids area where I'm from. Yes, there are certainly better trails further north, but these are pretty good and I appreciate the shorter drive for sure.

I could see it being a decent trail but I like said a few guys in the parking lot thought they had a race a week or so before. Could be a nice spring trail I figure, It was whooped much more than Evart when we were there.

Evart is one of my favorite loops, and like ericinmichigan said not very far from Grand Rapids. Tough and technical. All michigan trails have lots of whoops. The only way to get away from them is to race an enduro, that is laid out on private land only. Just be thankfull that we have as much trail as we do. You could also try Drummond Island, not many whoops up there. Come on Jack Pine!!!!!!!!!

Rode Tin Cup Saturday. Ya it is a little whooped more than normal. Seems worse at at the first half but still plenty of good terrain through out. We Rode Clockwise from the lot. Fun time no matter what the conditions.