RMX- first long ride

Tried out my new to me 93 rmx on some good/challenging trails today. Preformed well, very happy w/my switch from my 01 cr250. No issues but every now and then I would hear a knock coming from the motor (I believe). Hard to describe but sounded like the piston hitting something ONE time (not a series of rattles) or if the kick stand was flopping around and hitting metal to metal (it' not). I noticed it only on decel or idle/coast for a slpit second and not all the time just random. Never under throttle or upper revs. Are these kind of noisey motors? The idle is not quite right, it surges slightly since I adjusted it (wouldn't idle at all when I first got it). Anyone have similar?

...or it is exhaust valve-induced knock. Take the pipe off at look at the piston through the exhaust port. If there is ring blow by then it it time for a top end (rings minimum and piston maximum) moreover exhaust-valve cleaning - the latter gets gummed up and affects running especially when shutting down for corners or as it comes back to idle from being revved. Or there is carbon buildup on the piston crown and as such holds too much heat causing knocking or pinging (one or the other - can't remember which one.)

Sounds like the trails are whooped? I read it in the north section. Tin cup has gotten bad.

As for the noise I have a similar noise on my 94 and tracked it down to a loose chain rattling at slower chug speed.

Did you end up getting a new silencer.

My chain is on the loose side. I'll check that too. I ordered one off ebay, new for 89.00:thumbsup: but they were "not in stock" so I have to wait a bit longer for it. Bummer, they are in Milford Mi too so I thought I'd have it by now:banghead: The RMX is night and day from my Cr250. Will take more time to get my speed up, when I pushed it I could really feel the soft(er) suspension. My legs are so sore even today I have a hard time getting out of my chair:smirk:. Never was quite this bad on the cr.

• 2 weeks later...

JMC, I am familiar with the noise your RMX is making, my friend has a 93RMX. You need to make sure of your jetting, especially that your not lean. He put a airstriker carb on his, and on the first trail ride of the year (55 degrees) it was too lean. We had some spare jets and were able to make it better for that day, but when we properly jetted bike the noise went away. Not knowing your entire situation I can only speculate, but just wanted to throw it out. His RMX is a rocket now, these are great bikes, if you ever want to sell contact me.

Thanks, acutally considered selling at one point but I like it quite a bit. It would be hard to replace. I want to see if I can stiffen it up a bit w/the clickers before I do anything. Don't want to spend a bunch of cash on it just want it a little stiffer. I did get my new FMF pipe and while still pretty big it looks alot better then the sparky ad on:ride:

Zig06, My friend and I both installed airstrikers on our Suzukis. His is a 93 RMX, and mine is a 96RM 250. The a/x carb is great, my RM has the stock pipe and Steahly 12oz. flywheel weight. For tight trails I put a 12 tooth c/s sprocket on, and it pulls out of corners with no clutch beautifully. The RMX also responds well to the a/x carb. It does idle, and in my friends opinion runs stronger. You need to be careful of the weather conditions when you put the a/x on as they come jetted for 65 degrees and up. We ended up with 58 pilot, DDJ needle( temp and humidity depend on 2nd, or 3rd clip pos.), and a 172 main. This was determined by proper jetting, marking the throttle, and running long straights at throttle settings. If your from Michigan then you know sand pulls harder on a motor, and to jet accordingly. He also has a p/c pipe.