yamaha yz250 or yz250f?

Hello, i have been riding a ttr 230 and its nice but i want a bit more power. I like to ride in the sand and climb dunes and hills. I have rode a yz 250 and i liked the torque and power it puts out. What should i get for what i need i am not racing just something to do for fun and what would be easy maintenance for me?

250 2t if your riding sand and hills way less maintainence and twice the power and whe you do have to rebuild it half the cost of a 4t my .02

Absolutely agree. Less cost and maintenance (time) also means more seat time. Just one thing to add: Whether 2T or 4T, Consider a soft terrain tire tread for the sand (ex. GeoMax MX31).

The Store section here at TT even has them listed...

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by droussey

The only reason I can see to buy a 250f is if you are restricted by rules for a particular racing class. Otherwise, 250 smokers:

1. require less maintenance

2. are cheaper to buy

3. are cheaper to repair if something breaks

4. require little mechanical skill to maintain/repair

5. make a lot more power

6. are significantly quieter

7. are considered by many to be more "fun" to ride

I only have smokers in my garage now (minis to open class), and I am constantly amazed at how little I have to do to these bikes to get them ready to ride or race.

Edited by rpt50
error

I agree with the above coments but I have had experience on both the 250 2 stroke is a monster. Yes it is cheaper maintenece etc but it is alot harder to get to grips with the power that the engine kicks out is unbelievable. It will take you alot longer to learn to ride the 250 2stroke than the 250f. If your willing to put the time in and learn to ride it, its a very rewarding bike however, the 250f is a very unforgiving bike, will still teach you alot and you will also feel as though you are proggressing. When learning I found the 250f alot more forgiving, and therfore made you have alot more fun, which is what it is all about. The only thing with the 250f is the extra costs of rebuilds, but if you look after it change the air filter and engine oil it will look after you. If you have your heart set on a250 2stroke then you cant go wrong with a YZ and the same for 250f's. In my opinion Id go for the 250f as it makes you feel like a god within a short while of riding it, but still allows you to progress. All things considered though, you should pick whichever bike you think you'll have the most fun on, because that is what counts.

Hope this helps.

If you can handle the two stroke, then get it. Some people just can't ride 2 strokes, and I honestly feel sorry for them. Most of that is in your head, and if you are willing to take the time to learn to ride it, you will end up with a bike that is easier to maintain than a 250f, makes much more power, and is easier to start. Those 3 are facts. On the opinion side of things, I think 250fs are pretty boring to ride, and the 250 2 stroke is such a fast revving powerful and light machine that I get a smile every time that I ride mine.

Lots of love here for two strokes. However, the YZ250F is not a bad bike by any means. They have about 34 HP compared to the 45 in the smoker. It really comes down to what you want. Neither would be poor purchase decisions IMO. It might be that Yamaha makes a great motorcycle..... 🙂

The maintenance thing is funny. Everybody says they're so hard to maintain. This is true when you're racing. For trail riding I just don't see a difference time-wise. Sure, check the valves now and again but they don't need no adjusting* so what's the big deal?

*At least they don't the way I ride the bike anyway. :banana:

Next post will be someone saying that I have a ticking time-bomb that's gonna blow any minute.🤣

YZ250Fs are great bikes but changing oil and cleaning filter all the time is a pain,checking valves is a pain even if they dont move you still have to check them.Always hated the engine braking and as most have been saying not as much fun to ride.

Shrub you must be getting bored by now coming off a 2stroke:smirk:

Not yet but I've only put on 26 hours since March though. I love the compression braking for mtn trails. 🙂 I change my oil around 12 hours and filter every other change AND..... I use cheap SuperTech oil....... doom is imminent!

The 450 is a heavy bike, the 250f is not that bad, a lot of people say the 2t is more fun but I have way for fun on my 250f

My definition of fun is faster, better cornering and you can really give it a whipin,

its easy to haul in a striaght line on a 2t, not so much in the corners or ruff terrain, and be way carefull on slick long high speed corners, an ounce too much throttle and your'e on your head..........not my idea of fun !!!

If you decide to buy a 2 stroke, don't get caught up in all the brand worries. Back in the 70s, when I started riding dirt bikes, there were real differences between brands, and major advances in suspension were being made. Some bikes were significantly better than others. These days, EVERYBODY makes a good bike, and you can't go wrong with any smoker built in the last 10 years. I currently have orange, red, and yellow smokers in my garage, and I have seat time on green and blue. The differences are not worth worrying about, and I'll bet if there was some way to hide the bike from the rider's eyes, most riders would probably not be able to reliably identify the brand they are riding. For example, I constantly hear people say they don't like KTMs because of the linkless suspension. Maybe pro riders can tell the difference, but I have two bikes with linkage, and one KTM (set up with the same height bars, etc.), and they all work great, and all feel pretty much the same. I notice some differences between the bikes, but nothing to do with the rear suspension. I actually prefer the KTM setup, not because I can tell any difference in performance--I just hate greasing bearings on linkage bikes.

Your going to have people tell you that you have to buy the YZ (or RM, or KTM) or whatever brand. Forget about the brand, buy on condition and price. There are lots of great bikes out there--it just takes a little patience.

• Like 1

If you decide to buy a 2 stroke, don't get caught up in all the brand worries. Back in the 70s, when I started riding dirt bikes, there were real differences between brands, and major advances in suspension were being made. Some bikes were significantly better than others. These days, EVERYBODY makes a good bike, and you can't go wrong with any smoker built in the last 10 years. I currently have orange, red, and yellow smokers in my garage, and I have seat time on green and blue. The differences are not worth worrying about, and I'll bet if there was some way to hide the bike from the rider's eyes, most riders would probably not be able to reliably identify the brand they are riding. For example, I constantly hear people say they don't like KTMs because of the linkless suspension. Maybe pro riders can tell the difference, but I have two bikes with linkage, and one KTM (set up with the same height bars, etc.), and they all work great, and all feel pretty much the same. I notice some differences between the bikes, but nothing to do with the rear suspension. I actually prefer the KTM setup, not because I can tell any difference in performance--I just hate greasing bearings on linkage bikes.

Your going to have people tell you that you have to buy the YZ (or RM, or KTM) or whatever brand. Forget about the brand, buy on condition and price. There are lots of great bikes out there--it just takes a little patience.

best post yet. 🙂

YZ250Fs are great bikes but changing oil and cleaning filter all the time is a pain,checking valves is a pain even if they dont move you still have to check them.Always hated the engine braking and as most have been saying not as much fun to ride.

Shrub you must be getting bored by now coming off a 2stroke:smirk:

I hope you don't own anything of value because changing oil and cleaning air filter should be routine maintenance of any motorized vehicle.

To the OP, it seems like for your needs the 250 2 stroke would suffice

I hope you don't own anything of value because changing oil and cleaning air filter should be routine maintenance of any motorized vehicle.

To the OP, it seems like for your needs the 250 2 stroke would suffice

For some reason you are jumping to conclutions,I owned a 4stroke so I know what im talking about,by the way I changed my oil every 5hrs cleaned my air filter every second ride or sooner depending on conditions and checked valves every 10hrs or so.Maybe you should read my post again.

001-3-3.jpg

Edited by canuckwr250