Super big newb thanx to TT

First of all, not only am I new to the DRZ 400s (I just bought an '09), but two months ago is the first time I ever sat on a bike (which I had a lowering link installed). I wanted to put out a Huge thanx to the TT site in general, Eddie Sisneros and Matt Tiede especially. Matt's quick link to the most popular items bought and talked about is where I started ALL of my research. And Eddie, your word is like gospel. My motorcycle education consists of your post's and the Suzuki service manual I ordered for the bike. Secondly, I did all the mods myself, which I'm kinda proud of since I've never done more than an oil change for my truck. As for everybody else (especially the other newbs) I basically did one big order from TT to make my mount combat ready:

K&N Air Filter - Eddy likes them (I'm going to wear out the stock one first)

MSR Extended Shift Lever - I don't have big feet, just seemed like a good idea. Got 20 ft from my house when I realized I put it up too high and couldn't upshift - oops.

Kientech extended fuel screw - Must have in my opinion. Gives you so much more control.

TT case savers & skid plate - Waiting for them to dry as I type (and the last mod I made). The skid plate came with 1 clamp that had a star shaped screw - yea, I replaced that with a hex bolt.

JD jetting Kit - Top priority mod. My mount is like a completely different animal. I just followed the instructions - Blue needle (clip came on the 3rd notch) 155 main jet, 25 pilot (came with it), I unscrewed the new fuel screw almost 3 turns and it's a monster. I was actually a little worried I over torque'd the jet's. The hardest part was getting the carb out.

Clarke 3.9 fuel tank - 100 miles just wasn't cutting it. After I Seriously debated doing a Bunch of mods to make the bike race worthy I decided the cost would justify buying a race bike and detract from the whole reason I got a dual-sport.

Sunline foot pegs - Yea easy to replace Except for the fact that the rear brake lever Totally blocks removing the holding pin. Guess what, I don't have the tool(s) to remove that brake lever so I only have one of them on. It's probably the only thing I'll have to take to a dealer for.

My second order will be for handlebar's, maybe a scotts dampener, and maybe riser.

Unabiker Radiator guards - Pretty easy to install. Like most of the stuff - follow the directions.

The $17 ATV seat cushion from walmart - omg is it difficult to get that seat back on. I mean really, Really difficult and I don't think it's just the pad. I have a custom seat from Renazco coming in December so for now it's what I got.

My next purchases will probably be handlebars and/or riser's. But definantly some real off-road tires.

Here's some pics of my new, almost dirt worthy mount:

TT50005-1.jpg

TT50005.jpg

TT50006.jpg

TT50003-1.jpg

TT50007.jpg

Oh a couple of things I forgot to mention. #1 I really don't like the way that rear rack attaches to the seat bolts on the frame. That's why I only have the two bolts thru the fender on at the moment. I think i'm going to get a hole drilled thru the bar that came with it and bolt it to the rear "sub frame" underneat the fender - that seat is so God awful to get on, I'm not going to go thru trying to get a spacer on it as well, it takes me over an hour to get it back on every time. Secondly, for whatever stupid reason, I opened the air box a tad more than 3 x 3. I basically cut it out from the computer posts on down. Probably not the best idea, especially after seeing Eddy say it more than once "it's the 3 x 3 mod not the 3 x whatever mod". I'm probably hurting my mount by leaving it, so I might drill something to make it more 3 x 3...but it's running so well. I can't wait to learn how to do a wheelie. The other thing is, I live in Port Angeles WA and I'm totally looking for people to ride with. Most of my friends are way more interested in cruisers and I really don't understand why considering where we live and how awsome the DRZ400 is but anyway, Victoria Canada is just a ferry ride away so I hope some of the riders in BC read this, I've always wanted to go to another country.

Very Cool. You will like riding the DRZ. I have a 2000 that I bought new.

One thing I would add, is to toss those TrailWings, (AKA DeathWings), and buy a better tire if you are going to be running off road. Those TW's are horrible off road.

Keep us updated.

Greebe

I'm kind of on the fence about the tires at the moment. Being inexperienced I'm probably going to get more miles under my belt before I do anything, but I'm really leaning towards getting a whole set of rim/tires for swapping between on and off road. Will probably pay for itself in the long run.

Congrats on the new ride 🙂

If you keep the deathwings on there, you will definitely gain experience :banana:

I bought my 09 new in November, and with the bike, ordered some Pirelli Scorpion Pro FIM's. While I waited for them to arrive, I did some riding in the dirt and some deep sand on the Trailwings. I didn't go down, but it wasn't what I'd call comfortable.... Definitely got experienced! When I put on the pirellis about 2 weeks later, the difference was night and day! I kept the trailwings in case I want to remount them in the event that I start doing more road. Right now, I only use roads as a way to get to dirt.

Yep the DeathWings give your knuckles a work out on the trails, white knuckle that is.

I just put a set of Dunlop D606's front and back on my DRZ. They even seem better on the road than the TrailWings did.

I am the same as tdhart, I use the roads to get to the trails, so a good performing off road tire is a must.

Greebe