04 cr 250 idle?

My bike doesn't like to idle much at all. I have the idle screw turned in as much as possible and it still "chug, chug, chug, stall....".

I have set the float height, and just recently changed the pilot jet from 32.5 to 30. But I need to set a high idle in order to get my air screw setting correct, and I can't do this!?

Also, does a 30 pilot jet seem kind of lean for a original engine with fmf fatty at 347 Meters above sea level?

thanks

Also, my bike smokes a ton out of the exhaust like its running rich, lots of spooge.

When adjusting for the proper air screw setting, i start at 1 turn out and work my way out until the idle is at the highest rpm correct?

Air screw is the flat head brass screw, idle is the brass screw with the lock nut.

Out with the mixture screw leans the mixture on the pilot circuit, in on the mixture screw richens.

If it's running rich go out on the mixture screw until it gets better (assuming you're problem is just with the pilot/slow circuit). If you pass 3 turns out on the mixture screw you need to go with the next size smaller pilot/slow jet. If you end up turning the screw in more than 1 1/2 turns from lightly seated you need to go with the next size larger pilot jet.

Thanks thats basically what I've been trying to do... but the method I'm trying to do involves setting the idle high to determine air screw setting. I cannot achieve a high idle with my idle screw. I think I'm just going to tape my throttle barely cracked to get a steady high idle...

"Turn the air screw all the way in, then turn it out 1.5 turns to start. Start the engine, and turn the idle screw in until you get a slightly fast idle, or hold the throttle just barely cracked, to keep the engine idleing. Turn the airscrew slowly in, and then out, until you find the point where the idle is fastest. Stop there. Do not open the screw any farther, or your throttle response will be flat and mushy, and the bike may even bog. This is only the starting point, we will still have to tune the air screw for the best response.

Now is the time to determine if you have the correct pilot installed in your carb. The air screw position determines this for you, making it very simple. If your air screw is less than 1 turn from closed, you need a larger pilot jet. If it is more than 2.5 turns from closed, you need a smaller pilot jet."