Cracked stator plate. Repair ideas?

Hey, so I have a 95 yz125 and I recently cracked the stator plate around where ignition pickup is attached. Laid the bike down and caught a rock in just the right spot.

I did a quick and dirty repair with JB weld, but it doesn't adhere to the surface very well and it keeps coming apart. I also can't find one on Ebay for a reasonable price, so I'm thinking I should just try to repair the plate.

Problem is, I'm not sure what it's made of. Could be cast iron, which is tricky to weld with the tools I've got (wire feed welder and oxy ac torch), but it doesn't need to be particularly strong (just needs to resist the pull of the flywheel magnet and vibrations from the motor). Anybody know for sure? Tips?

drill tiny holes on both sides of the crack and lace it like a shew string

for a temp fix

but keep shopping for a replacement part or save up the $ for new part from www.mrcycles.com

a new one is not cheep it like $406 but it is cheaper then a new bike and that 2stroke will be around for a very long time if taken care of

o and i do think it is steal but have a good welder look at it he can tell you what it is

look in the phone book for a licensed welder and they should be able to fix it right for a few $ less then the $406 :-) maybe $50 or less if you find a nice one

Considering I paid $500 for the whole bike, I'm probably not going to buy the new part for 400.

I can get a complete stator off ebay for about 125, but even that is more than I'd really like to spend.

Can anybody confirm that stator plates are in fact cast iron? If so, I should be able to braze it if I'm careful. It's a risky job even for a professional, so I figure if I totally screw it up, I won't be out anything except some welding gas and I can just order the used replacement.

• 2 weeks later...