help my freind

Okay guys, went riding with my good ole buddy yesterday and he has one of these dr 400's I am on my RM. We rode all day and towards the end the day we were setting some race paced laps on this 3 mile loop and towards the end his back brakes went out and then after sitting for a few minutes they were back.

So I am thinking that they got real hot and then something went wrong...collaped line or calipers piston seized not sure. any one have this issue by the way he said this happend to him in a race a couple weeks back so I think this has something to do with heat build up. Help please.

oh and it is a 01 incase this helps.

Went out? As in didn't work at all?

Yeah, he went to put on his brakes and they were gone. he about bit it too. He rode aound for a bit real slow and then after a few miniutes they were working again.

No fast honda they were not squeaking at all or at least I couldn't hear them I was right behind on his tail.

It could be he overheated the brake which caused the brake fluid to boil at the caliper and then after it cooled some the fluid stopped boiling and started working normally again.

well do you think he has the wrong fluid or bad fluid he did say he did bleed the brakes after the first time it did it so he must have put new fluid back in it. I know we rode hard all day and it was not unitl we put like 3 three fast hard laps on them that they did finally act up so I deffinatly think it is a heat issue.

I'm not a brake expert but dot 3 will absorb water over time lowering it's boiling point. I don't know what comes stock but I believe dot 4 and 5 have higher boiling points. Be careful if you change it to another dot number as you can't mix some of the various kinds of fluid.

okay thanks, I will ask him what dot he put in it.